Monday, March 14, 2022

What WE Would Do Given the Same Situation. . .

What WE Would Do Given the Same Situation. . .

 

Matthew 26:31-35, The Message - Then Jesus told them, “Before the night’s over, you’re going to fall to pieces because of what happens to me. There is a Scripture that says,

I’ll strike the shepherd;

dazed and confused, the sheep will be scattered.

But after I am raised up, I, your Shepherd, will go ahead of you, leading the way to Galilee.”

Peter broke in, “Even if everyone else falls to pieces on account of you, I won’t.”

“Don’t be so sure,” Jesus said. “This very night, before the rooster crows up the dawn, you will deny me three times.”

Peter protested, “Even if I had to die with you, I would never deny you.” All the others said the same thing.

 

                Up until right before it happens, Jesus keeps telling the disciples how things are going to go badly for Him.  And our passage above, Jesus warns his disciples that, when things go badly, they won’t handle it very well.  They will “fall to pieces.”  Peter speaks for all of Jesus’s cohorts when he boasts there is no way that would ever happen.  But just as Jesus foretold, Peter will deny Jesus three times before the night is over. All the others would falter in some way as well.  Though it is Peter that is the example, this prediction from Jesus is one that is about all of us.

                Unlike Peter, I doubt that I would have made a verbal boast about what I would do or not do.  But I am certain, in the same circumstances, I would have quietly assured myself that I would never deny or forsake Jesus though all hell breaks loose.  I believe my approach would have been to quietly prove Jesus’s words to be wrong.  My aim would be to simply show Jesus my undying loyalty.  But I’m pretty sure that I, just like all the confident disciples, would fail to prove my unspoken boast.  I’m certain about this because I have failed Jesus many times when I faced no real danger for being faithful. 

                However, this passage is not about Peter’s denial or the failings of all the other disciples in the midst of the arrest, crucifixion, and death of Jesus.  Jesus lets them know that they will fall to pieces not to shame them, but to assure them, that when it happens, He will be there to lead them forward after their failure.  The reality is that all of the disciples, except John, will go on to be martyred for their bold faith in Jesus.  But not before they first fail Jesus.  The encounter with the Risen Christ turns their failure into faithfulness.  The gift of the Holy Spirit turns their fear into holy bravado. 

                We all know what we think we will do when the “big moment” comes.  Bur regardless of whether we fail or succeed, Jesus promises to lead us forward afterwards.  Jesus knows that we will fall short sometimes.  We might even completely fall apart.  But on the other side of those darkest of moments, our Shepherd will be there to help us pick up the pieces and move forward to a better future. 

 

Questions:  Can you think of times when you didn’t live up to your own expectations about how you would perform in a difficult situation?  What was helpful to you in such moments?

 

Prayer:  Jesus, we sometimes overestimate our loyalty and devotion to You.  Thank you for your promise to be with us when we fail.  Use our failures and shortcomings to strengthen our faithfulness moving forward.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for people in places where Christians are martyred for their faith on a regular basis.

 

Song:  Are Ye Able – Han Sol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8b0J7gnLw

No comments:

Post a Comment