Friday, September 23, 2022

“If’s It’s Not Too Much Trouble, God…”

Mark 1:40-45, The Message - A leper came to him, begging on his knees, “If you want to, you can cleanse me.”

Deeply moved, Jesus put out his hand, touched him, and said, “I want to. Be clean.” Then and there the leprosy was gone, his skin smooth and healthy. Jesus dismissed him with strict orders: “Say nothing to anyone. Take the offering for cleansing that Moses prescribed and present yourself to the priest. This will validate your healing to the people.” But as soon as the man was out of earshot, he told everyone he met what had happened, spreading the news all over town. So Jesus kept to out-of-the-way places, no longer able to move freely in and out of the city. But people found him, and came from all over.

 

  As a pastor, I have on a few occasions had people who, even though they needed something from me or to ask a question, have been almost apologetic in asking for my attention.  I like to think I’m very approachable (and many have told me that as well), but nevertheless, the people I referred to seemed to have the idea that I either don’t have time for them or really they wonder if I would even want to spare some time for them.  It pains me that anyone would ever get such ideas, but it does give me some insight into this leper approaching Jesus for help.  He is convinced that Jesus can heal him, yet he is skeptical that Jesus would want to do so.  It’s obvious that Jesus is pained by the man’s reluctance and immediately allays his fear and heals him.

 

  I’m glad that only a few people that I’m aware of were reluctant to “bother” me for help.  But I have had many more conversations with people who felt like this leper did approaching Jesus.  So many struggle with the thought that God would want to have anything to do them, much less pay them significant attention.  If I’m honest, I’ve had such thoughts myself at times.  Shame, a sense of unworthiness, and/or doubts about the character of God can all factor into such reluctance.    

 

  The leper had even more substantial reasons to doubt Jesus would grant his request.  The prevailing belief in Jesus’s day was that if you had leprosy, you were cursed by God.  That’s why Jesus sent the man to the priest.  It was only a priest that was authorized to confirm that the leprosy was gone and thus, God’s curse had been removed.  So, as a leper, it is completely understandable that this man would doubt that a prophet/rabbi/Son of God would want to grant his request.  So Jesus is not JUST healing here; He is also teaching all who were present about the true character of God.  Jesus states plainly that He wishes to heal the man and immediately commands the affliction to be gone.  God’s character is one that seeks to heal, not condemn.  I need to hear that and I’m guessing I’m not the only one.

 

  I wish there were a way to instantly remove all the self-imposed obstacles to approaching God with our needs confidently.  I’m not aware of such a remedy. However, see this leper’s bravery.  He had those doubts and/or fears, yet he addresses Jesus anyway.  He’s honest about his need, but he’s also honest about his doubt.  Such bravery and honesty is almost always required in situation.  If we wait until we’re confident in God’s willingness to hear and respond to us, we may never ask.  If we wait for all doubt/fear to disappear, we will be waiting forever.  Be brave. Be honest.  And do so right now.  We will talk about this passage some more tomorrow, but don’t wait until then to ask God for what you need. Do it today.

 

Question:  What are you reluctant to ask God for?  Why? 

 

Prayer:  Lord I know you are able to _____________ for me.  Sometimes, I struggle with the idea that you are willing.  I ask you to _______________ even in the midst of my doubts. Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for teachers that you know today.

 

Song:  How Can It Be? – Lauren Daigle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5X91ciE6Y&t=24s

No comments:

Post a Comment