Friday, September 17, 2021

Matthew 8:5-13 - God Showing Up in “All the Wrong Places”



Daily Devo w/ Pastor Eric September 17, 2021

God Showing Up in “All the Wrong Places”

 

Matthew 8:5-13, The Message - As Jesus entered the village of Capernaum, a Roman captain came up in a panic and said, “Master, my servant is sick. He can’t walk. He’s in terrible pain.”

Jesus said, “I’ll come and heal him.”

“Oh, no,” said the captain. “I don’t want to put you to all that trouble. Just give the order and my servant will be fine. I’m a man who takes orders and gives orders. I tell one soldier, ‘Go,’ and he goes; to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

Taken aback, Jesus said, “I’ve yet to come across this kind of simple trust in Israel, the very people who are supposed to know all about God and how he works. This man is the vanguard of many outsiders who will soon be coming from all directions—streaming in from the east, pouring in from the west, sitting down at God’s kingdom banquet alongside Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Then those who grew up ‘in the faith’ but had no faith will find themselves out in the cold, outsiders to grace and wondering what happened.”

Then Jesus turned to the captain and said, “Go. What you believed could happen has happened.” At that moment his servant became well.

 

This passage always steps on my toes.  It should step on the toes of all of us who claim to be “on the inside” of God’s community.  This is one of those passages where we want to be the Roman Captain, but we are not.  We are Israel where Jesus has not seen such faith.  We’re supposed to have such faith, but it often escapes us.  We sometimes get “outfaithed” by outsiders and it’s not fun. 

One of my favorite theologians is Soren Kierkegaard.  He spent much of his life as a self-imposed outcast of the church because he felt the Danish state church had lost its way.  He was embraced more as a philosopher in his own day (he is regarded as one of the founders of existentialism) and was not really taken seriously as a theologian until almost a century after his death.  But his writings on the nature of faith and the church have called many insiders to greater faith.  I am one of those beneficiaries. 

I have often gotten the chance to officiate at weddings and funerals for families that are not “church-goers.”  Many times, during those experiences, I encounter folks who talk about their faith in a way that is so refreshing and inspiring that I leave the encounter feeling like I received more from them than I gave.  I have often read magazine articles/books by people who don’t call themselves Christians and found that I encountered Christ in their writings.  I have heard God speak through podcasts/TED Talks from folks who would be offended if I called them a Christian.  Some of the most profoundly moving music I have ever heard was not created by Christians and yet I feel the Spirit in the notes they put together.  My point, and I think Jesus’s point as well, is not that the insiders are bad.  The point is that we insiders often forget that we do not have a monopoly on the things of God.  God is not confined to work through the church.  God’s voice can be heard in places where the church has not/will not go.  God’s healing is not reserved for those who “deserve” it (as if that were possible).  We professional faithers sometimes get too big for our britches and need to be humbled. 

 

Question:  When was the last time you were humbled by someone who is an “outsider” to the faith?

 

Prayer:  God forgive us for our presumptions about where you will show up, how and through whom you will speak, and who will receive your healing.  Give us humble spirits so that we experience your grace in whatever way it is offered.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray that God will speak to you today in a surprising way and then spend the rest of the day anticipating how it will happen.

 

Song:  Not surprisingly, I chose a song today from an “outsider.”  This is one of my favorite songs ever.  It awakens my spirit every time I hear it.  I hope you have music that does the same for you, regardless of where it comes from:

My Oh My – David Gray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_M8fQG9OSI


No comments:

Post a Comment