Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Matthew 11:27-30 - Unforced Rhythms of Grace

 


Daily Devo w/ Pastor Eric October 19, 2021

The “Unforced Rhythms of Grace”

 

Matthew 11:27-30, NIV - “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

                                                                                               

Probably the best way to begin saying something about this familiar saying of Jesus is to make it sound a little less familiar.  Eugene Peterson has done this in his translation of this passage in the Message:

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

I think a lot of people never really get what Jesus is saying here.  I feel like I have been one of them until fairly recently and even now, I am only beginning to get it.  I’ve got a long way to go.  Knowing that I have a long way to go could prompt me to stress about how unspiritual and undisciplined I am.  I know and have known that stress.  But that stress is the opposite of the “unforced rhythms of grace” that Jesus speaks of here.  Jesus does give us a “burden,” but it is not supposed to burn us out.  The yoke is an instrument put on a horse to guide and allow the horse to follow the driver and keep step with the other horses.  Jesus’s yoke for us is what we call a “calling” or ministry.  It is a calling that might in fact cause us to work very hard, but the work energizes us in a way that keeps us going and wanting to do more.  If following the lead of God in our life is wearing us out or grinding us down, something is wrong.  I love being a pastor, but I have let it wear me down at times and I’m still prone to do so.  Returning to the unforced rhythms is a regular correction for me. 

Another thought that occurs to me about this verse is that Jesus identifies the burden he gives us as “my burden.”  It is Jesus’s burden.  He allows us to share in it, but when we take ownership of it, it sets us up for a fall.  Some of the biggest hurts in my life have come when I had taken ownership of a burden I was never intended to carry and one that didn’t belong to me.  Knowing this and living it are often worlds apart though.  A yoke does require us to carry some weight, but the direction is always determined by the driver, the one who uses the yoke.  A good driver knows the right direction and is always careful not to let the load get too heavy.  Animals who trust the Good Driver’s guidance are always safe.  They learn to “live freely and lightly.” 

I tend to believe that I need to control way more than I ever could or should.  I’m going to be so bold as to say that you have that problem too.  It’s all too human an affliction.  It’s here that we could gain wisdom from animals who are yoked and don’t seem to mind it too much, for they have confidence and a sense of safety in trusting the Good Driver. 

 

Prayer:  God help us to know clearly the calling you have for each of us, but help us to not grasp it so tightly as if it were ours. Help us to trust your guidance and direction implicitly. Amen.

 

Prayer Focus – Pray for the deep divisions in our country right now.

 

No Song Today (although If there were, it would be “Hold On Loosely,” by 38 Special, but I digress) – Instead, I share a video of some of my favorite animals, the Clydesdales.  This demonstration and the accompanying explanation illustrates how these magnificent and powerful animals trust the instruction and guidance of their Driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPlMVY-Cfvc

No comments:

Post a Comment