Friday, January 7, 2022

Receiving the Disappointment of God - January 7, 2022

 

Receiving the Disappointment of God - January 7, 2022

 

Today we resume our journey through the Gospel of Matthew that we started back in August after focusing on Advent, Christmas and Epiphany. 

 

Matthew 17:14-20, The Message - At the bottom of the mountain, they were met by a crowd of waiting people. As they approached, a man came out of the crowd and fell to his knees begging, “Master, have mercy on my son. He goes out of his mind and suffers terribly, falling into seizures. Frequently he is pitched into the fire, other times into the river. I brought him to your disciples, but they could do nothing for him.”

Jesus said, “What a generation! No sense of God! No focus to your lives! How many times do I have to go over these things? How much longer do I have to put up with this? Bring the boy here.” He ordered the afflicting demon out—and it was out, gone. From that moment on the boy was well.

When the disciples had Jesus off to themselves, they asked, “Why couldn’t we throw it out?”

“Because you’re not yet taking God seriously,” said Jesus. “The simple truth is that if you had a mere kernel of faith, a poppy seed, say, you would tell this mountain, ‘Move!’ and it would move. There is nothing you wouldn’t be able to tackle.”

 

In today’s passage, it’s especially important to remember what has just happened in the passage leading up to this one.  Jesus and three of His disciples have just finished witnessing Jesus being transfigured before them up on the mountain and in addition to that, Moses and Elijah show up to confer with Jesus.  If ever there were a faith-building event for these disciples, they have just experienced it.  They have just seen with their own eyes proof that Jesus is indeed the Son of God and all of heaven’s power is behind him. Fresh from that experience, they come down off the mountain and a man brings his son to Jesus’s disciples to be healed.  They are unable to heal him.  Jesus shows some emotion as he hears this. 

 

                “How much longer do I have to put up with this?,” he asks in exasperation.

 

                Jesus is disheartened that His disciples haven’t enough faith to perform this healing.  If I’m honest, I feel Jesus’s impatience personally as if He had directed at me.  While I have not witnessed anything like the transfiguration, I have witnessed many miracles over the course of my life, some of them in my own family.  If anyone should have a mustard seed’s amount of faith, it is me.  But I have to confess that I have often come up short when my faith was called upon to move even little molehills, much less mountains.  I hear Jesus’s frustration in this encounter and it hits home in my heart.

 

                Part of Jesus’s urgency here concerns Him having knowledge that the others do not have; His time is growing short.  He knows the time is quickly approaching that he will be hanging on a Roman cross and He wants His disciples to be ready.  It frustrates Jesus that his cohorts are further along in their faith journey than they are.  Likewise, it often frustrates me that I am not further along in my faith journey than I am.  Perhaps some of you know what I’m talking about from your own experience. 

 

                There’s part of me that would like to think that God never gets frustrated with me and my bumbling faith.  But the larger part of me knows that it can’t be true.  To love someone means that you will get frustrated when they aren’t living at the level you know they could.  Loving parents know just when to express this frustration to kids who need a little kick in the pants to do better.  Jesus is giving His disciples one of those shoves.  And they will do better as a result.  These men will be the leaders of the movement Jesus starts after Jesus ascends into heaven.  They will perform much greater miracles than the miracle they failed to perform here.  They are no worse for wear after being the recipients of Jesus’s expressed disappointment; in fact, they will be better because Jesus didn’t hold back.

 

Question:  When has another’s disappointment with you been the catalyst for positive personal growth?

 

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, we long to have even a mustard’s seed amount of faith.  Do with us as you know best to move us to that faith-filled place.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for those who have experienced a discouraging failure recently.

 

Song:  Ain’t No Grave – Molly Skaggs (Bethel Music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGncW_ueyHA

No comments:

Post a Comment