Monday, February 7, 2022

Figs and Faith

 

Figs and Faith

February 7, 2022


Matthew 21:18-20, NRSV - In the morning, when he returned to the city, he was hungry.  And seeing a fig tree by the side of the road, he went to it and found nothing at all on it but leaves. Then he said to it, “May no fruit ever come from you again!” And the fig tree withered at once.  When the disciples saw it, they were amazed, saying, “How did the fig tree wither at once?”  Jesus answered them, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only will you do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ it will be done.  Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive.”

 

                This passage is a mixed bag for me.  On one hand, I love it.  What Jesus does with the fig tree endears Himself to me.  Feeling a bit, as we say these days, “hangry” (hunger that causes a heightened sense of irritability), Jesus spots the fig tree and He thinks He’s getting breakfast.  Finding the tree without any fruit, he curses the tree and makes it fruitless forever.  In other words, he takes out His frustration on the tree.  I am somehow comforted that Jesus got frustrated like I often get frustrated.  I read this little episode and I know that Jesus knows how I feel when I smash a project I’m working on when it’s not going my way.

                But then, the story changes.  The disciples see how the tree literally withers before their very eyes and they are amazed.  For the life of me, I cannot not understand their amazement because these guys have witnessed Jesus resurrecting the dead.  They have seen hundreds healed of every possible disease, the blind receive their sight (as recently as the day before this fig tree incident), the lame begin to walk again, and other miraculous displays of power.  Why would they be impressed by their Rabbi simply draining the life out of an insignificant tree?  Perhaps it is because they are familiar with Jesus performing life-giving miracles, not life-taking miracles.  I don’t know.

                In any case, Jesus uses their question about it as a teaching moment.  He informs them that they could do the same miracles, and anything else for that matter – even command a mountain to be thrown into the sea. 

“Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive,” Jesus concludes.

Here’s where I (and millions of others) get hung up.  Here’s the problem.  This statement is not literally true.  Since Jesus uttered these words, I suspect that millions of requests/commands uttered in complete faith have not resulted in the specific miracles requested/commanded.  To clarify, I have personally witnessed dozens of miracles that I absolutely attribute to prayers lifted in great faith.  What I can say with conviction is that, while faith does change what is possible in any given situation, it does not always conjure the specific result that we want.  And if we’re honest, this is a good thing. 

                I have wished “unpleasantness” (I’m intentionally using ambiguous word) upon people who have hurt me and people I cared about.  I have done so, having complete faith that God is indeed capable of granting my ill-conceived wish. Furthermore, I’ve made such wished with at least part of me willing that God would use that omnipotence to do me the favor.  It’s only later that I am relieved that God did not act on my anger and frustration.  I feel pretty sure most of us have had similar experiences. 

                There are other circumstances though where my faith-filled intentions and requests are good, at least in my own estimation.  I truly believed God could have removed my aunt’s cancer and my brother-in-law’s brain tumor and I prayed with all the mustard seeds I could muster for God to do exactly those things.  They were both incredible people and the world would certainly have benefited from them continuing to live here on this earth.  It was not to be and now, they are both in Heaven.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not bitter about that.  On the contrary, I celebrate that my loved ones have been delivered from the miseries they endured and now know complete joy.  I also celebrate that I have not said goodbye to them forever.  Because the same faith that I exercised to pray for the removal of their cancer, I know I will see them both again.  Praise be to our God who conquers even the power of bodily separation and death!

                So, I return to what I said earlier about what my best guess is as to what Jesus is trying to teach His disciples and us.  What is possible in every situation we find ourselves is changed when we possess faith. I do not believe that God gives us everything we want because we have faith.  But in faith, we gain access to God’s unmatched and equally mysterious power.  Our wish is not God’s command, but our faith brings hope that God will somehow bring about goodness from situations where all the news seems nothing but bad.  I aim to keep asking for specific miracles, but also simultaneously trusting that God knows what miracle is needed.  This doesn’t mean that I will always understand or even like the result.  But my greater aim is to keep trusting God even when I don’t understand or like what God does. 

 

Question:  How has faith changed what is possible in your life?

 

Prayer:  Omnipotent God, we seldom understand your ways and that is frustrating at times to say the least.  Help us see our circumstances through the lens of a faith that changes those circumstances by inviting you into the equation.  Amen.

 

Prayer:  Pray for people that you know are angry and/or frustrated with God.

 

Song:  Yet I Will Praise – Melissa Boraski

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hujNAmtA0c

No comments:

Post a Comment