Thursday, February 24, 2022

Jesus’s Public Goodbye

 

Jesus’s Public Goodbye

 

Matthew 23:37-39, CEB - “Jerusalem, Jerusalem! You who kill the prophets and stone those who were sent to you. How often I wanted to gather your people together, just as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings. But you didn’t want that.  Look, your house is left to you deserted.  I tell you, you won’t see me until you say, Blessings on the one who comes in the Lord’s name.”

 

                Jesus completes His address in the Temple with a lament.  This is the last time He will be in the Temple and the last time He will formally address the public.  He is aware that, in only a couple of days, he will be betrayed by one of His closest friends, arrested, tried multiple times, beaten and crucified on a Roman cross.  As he looks over those gathered, from Passover pilgrims to Pharisees, you can hear the growing sadness and foreboding as He wishes things could be different.  I invite you to read the above passage again aware of Jesus’s heart breaking as He speaks.

                Jesus’s words sound like a mother who has done all that she knows to do to bring her wayward children under her protection, but her children’s apathy and/or rebellion rebuffs the offer.  Accepting that things cannot be different, Jesus publicly says “goodbye.”  He informs those who hear Him that He will not return again anytime soon.  What Jesus knows is that the Temple itself will be reduced to rubble before He returns and this surely adds to His sadness.

                Too often, God’s demeanor towards rebellion is portrayed as angry and vengeful.  To be fair, some of those portrayals stem from Old Testament texts.  Without disregarding those scriptures, Jesus adds more insight into the heart of God when people ignore and rebel.  God is sorrowful toward those who will not heed spiritual guidance and wisdom.  God’s heart is to protect them, not smite them.  That is Jesus’s final public word. 

                I find comfort in this because I have been among the apathetic and rebellious at times.   That apathy and rebellion led to my own pain in some cases, something God would have helped me avoid if I had been more responsive.  Fortunately, those times of struggle have been instructive and serve as a constant reminder that I am prone to wander.  I’m reminded of the great hymn, “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing,” particularly words from the final verse:

Oh, to grace how great a debtor

Daily I'm constrained to be

Let Thy goodness like a fetter

Bind my wandering heart to Thee

Prone to wander, Lord I feel it

Prone to leave the God I love

Here's my heart, oh take and seal it

Seal it for Thy courts above

May this hymn be our prayer today as we hear Jesus’s heart for those of us who are “prone to leave the God [we] love.” 

 

Question:  Are you aware of any apathy or even rebellion towards God in your heart this day?

 

Prayer:  God forgive us for own insensitivity to Your Spirit’s call. Take our heart and seal it in Your mercy and love.  Quash any rebellion in us.  Help us accept your guidance this day and every day.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for the people of Ukraine and Russia today as war begins within Ukraine’s borders.

 

Song:  Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing – Chris Rice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTCTzF5Yj8I

No comments:

Post a Comment