Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Another Reminder

 

Another Reminder

 

Matthew 26:1-5, NIV - When Jesus had finished saying all these things, he said to his disciples, “As you know, the Passover is two days away—and the Son of Man will be handed over to be crucified.”

Then the chief priests and the elders of the people assembled in the palace of the high priest, whose name was Caiaphas, and they schemed to arrest Jesus secretly and kill him.  “But not during the festival,” they said, “or there may be a riot among the people.”

 

                Yet again, Jesus reminds His disciples that things are about to happen that they don’t want to hear.  I think about Matthew, a few decades later, recording the events after the resurrection, ascension, Pentecost, and the massive growth of the early church.  It’s almost like Matthew is reminding himself that, “O wow, Jesus really did warn us SO many times that this was going to happen and we never really heard Him.”  The reality is that they probably were not able to really hear Jesus before it all happened.  Jesus knew this.  But he sets them up to remember later.  That remembering is powerful; it will cement the disciples’ faith and strengthen them for their mission. 

                What if you could find a weather forecaster that was always right – every prediction they made about tomorrow’s weather was spot on.  If they said it was going to rain, you’d take an umbrella out the door when you left knowing you were going to use it.  If your big outside party was tomorrow and “Super Weather Guy,” said it wasn’t going to rain, you wouldn’t even have a back-up plan.  You would have developed this confidence over weeks, months, or even longer seeing that the forecast was always 100% correct.  This is the link between memory and confidence.  You trust because you have multiple memories that confirm that trust.

                This is what Jesus does for His disciples.  He’s constantly telling them what’s going to happen even though they will not really hear Him in the moment.  But later, the memory will confirm faith and strengthen their resolve to build the Kingdom.  God still does the same thing for us.  I can’t tell you the number of times I have remembered something that someone tried to tell me, but I was obviously unable to hear in the moment.  Later, their words would become prophecy to me because I saw the truth of their statement through experiencing that truth after they said it.  Many things my parents tried to teach me growing up did not become wisdom to me until my experience showed me the wisdom in their words.  In the light of my experience, my memory of their words cemented the wisdom.  The truly amazing thing about that is that my Dad actually told me this would happen.  When I was eleven and enduring one of my father’s lectures after making a serious mistake, he said these words to me:

“Eric, right now, you think I’m stupid.  But as you get older . . . you watch  . . . I’m going to get smarter.”

My Dad was setting me up to remember his wisdom later, knowing I was not really ready to receive it in the moment.  Jesus did this for His disciples. God still does for us, and occasionally, we do it for each other.  Our wisdom, trust, resolve, and love grows as we remember.

 

Question:  What are some examples of wisdom that someone tried to give you, but you didn’t realize it until much later. 

 

Prayer:  Lord, we trust that You have planted multiple seeds of wisdom, truth and faith in our minds that we have not realized until we remember them later in the light of our experience.  Thank you for preparing us for the future with these seeds of the past.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Spend time thanking God for the great teachers put in your life.

 

Song:  Ancient Words – Robin Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue6a3LERJW8

No comments:

Post a Comment