Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Peter’s Denials

 

Peter’s Denials

 

Matthew 26:69-75, The Message - All this time, Peter was sitting out in the courtyard. One servant girl came up to him and said, “You were with Jesus the Galilean.”

In front of everybody there, he denied it. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

As he moved over toward the gate, someone else said to the people there, “This man was with Jesus the Nazarene.”

Again he denied it, salting his denial with an oath: “I swear, I never laid eyes on the man.”

Shortly after that, some bystanders approached Peter. “You’ve got to be one of them. Your accent gives you away.”

Then he got really nervous and swore. “I don’t know the man!”

Just then a rooster crowed. Peter remembered what Jesus had said: “Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” He went out and cried and cried and cried.

 

Fear does terrible things to people.  It makes men do the opposite of what they want to do in their heart of hearts.  It drives wedges between people who would normally be kind to one another.  Fear makes people susceptible to believe things that actually increase their fear.  Fear feeds on fear and multiplies itself.  

Only hours earlier, Peter was speaking boldly about never denying or forsaking his Master Jesus.  Then his Master is arrested and has been brought before the Religious leaders who Peter knows intend to have Jesus killed.  Fear grows as Peter surmises that maybe, he will be next.  And before he realizes it, his fear has formed the denials on his lips.  Peter does what he could have never seen himself doing.  Fear is a terrible thing.

I know how he feels. I remember one time before I was a pastor when I had been asked to speak briefly at a groundbreaking ceremony at our church.  I had notecards with my little speech all written out.  When the time came and I walked up on the platform, I looked down out my cards.  I was so petrified that I could not read.  I felt like my brain was paralyzed.  It was.  Fear had taken over and I was nearly powerless.  I don’t even remember what happened after that. It just wasn’t good.

That experience was an obstacle for me for next six years as I struggled with a call to pastoral ministry.  I had begun to believe that such a calling was impossible for me. After all, how could I take up a profession that centers around public speaking when I was unable to read in public?  There have been many other moments when fear has gotten such a hold on me that I have said things contrary to what I believe.  I have acted in ways that betray my true character.  So, I feel a connection to poor Peter.  I’m not sure I would have performed better than him given the same circumstances.    

I take comfort that Peter was also the one Jesus called “the Rock,” the one Jesus said He would build His church upon.  And Peter was that rock, he would become one of the central leaders in the early Christian church, an author of Christian scripture, and the one that the Catholic church would refer to as the first Pope.  He was delivered from fear by the Risen Jesus and the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Fear did not have the last word with Peter and it did not have the last word with me either.  Though I still sometimes get nervous in certain situations, I have been able to do things I never would have imagined that day standing on the platform at the groundbreaking.  To God be the glory.

 

Question:  Is there something you feel a leading to do, but so far fear has stopped you? 

 

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, deliver us from paralyzing fear.  Help us move forward in the power that comes from your Spirit and our trust in you.  May we be bold for you O God.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for people you know who are living in fear right now (war-torn countries, domestic violence, resource scarcity, etc)

 

Song:  Fear is a Liar – Zach Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQTnREEtuNk  

No comments:

Post a Comment