Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Forgiveness Does Not Minimize the Seriousness of Sin(s)

 

Psalm 38:3-4, The Message

I’ve lost twenty pounds in two months

    because of your accusation.

My bones are brittle as dry sticks

    because of my sin.

I’m swamped by my bad behavior,

    collapsed under an avalanche of guilt.

 

                I encourage you to read all of Psalm 38 today even though I just included a couple of verses of it above. It is a poignant description of how devastating sin can be upon a soul.  You can sense David’s pain as he reflects on the effects his mistakes have had upon his life and well-being.  This brings up another important clarification concerning forgiveness.  Forgiveness does no in any way minimize the seriousness of our sin.  God’s forgiveness of us does not instantly make the sin in our life not so bad.

                Forgiveness is not an excusal, minimization, or justification of a wrong.  It is not calling a wrong right or even okay.  From time to time, people have apologized to me for something they did that was hurtful and my minimizing response is “it’s okay.”  That’s not forgiveness.  That’s me trying to eliminate the uncomfortable feeling between me and the offender. I am guilty of bringing out this imposter of forgiveness often because I want the discomfort to go away.  But all too often, the offense continues to hurt me after I have said that “it’s okay.”  In fact, I have noticed that sometimes, it’s even worse because now I have told the offender that their offense was “okay” and they may even feel forgiven.

The problem is that no forgiveness has actually taken place.  The offender believes she is forgiven and yet, I am still holding onto the offense. It is precisely because something happened that was not okay that forgiveness is needed.  Forgiveness is the technology we use to move through and beyond the wrong that has occurred.  Forgiveness makes a healed and restored life possible after the offense.  Even after we have received God’s forgiveness, God does not look back at what happened and say, “that was ok.”  Because it was NOT okay, God chose to forgive. 

God has forgiven your sin.  That promise is made dozens of times in scripture.  However, the expectation is that, as we accept God’s forgiveness, we also accept God’s help in moving away from the sin that entangled us.  Forgiveness is given so that we may be free and we have a role to play in our freedom.  We work to replace the unhealthy habits in our life with life-giving habits that God teaches us.

 

Questions:  Have you been able to accept God’s forgiveness for past mistakes?  In what way are you moving away from those mistakes?

 

Prayer:  Like David Lord, our sins have caused us and are causing us pain.  Help us accept your forgiveness and help us know what steps we can make to move toward life as you have taught us. Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for the families of people who have committed suicide.

 

Song:  Take Time To Be Holy – Mormon Tabernacle Choir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYLpkRT5Nzw

No comments:

Post a Comment