Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Who Has the Power?

1 Peter 3:9-11, CEB - Don’t pay back evil for evil or insult for insult. Instead, give blessing in return. You were called to do this so that you might inherit a blessing. For those who want to love life and see good days should keep their tongue from evil speaking and their lips from speaking lies. They should shun evil and do good; seek peace and chase after it.

 

Forgiveness at it’s very least provides for more positive outcomes than the alternatives.  When I was younger, my policy was to forgive those who were sorry.  If they apologized (and I was convinced of their sincerity), I could forgive almost anything.  But I required an apology if I was going to forgive.  I think many people hold this policy.

But as I began to study forgiveness, I began to see the main problem with this approach.  If I wait for an apology in order to start the forgiveness process, I know for sure that there are things I will never forgive.  I know this because the people who would have given the apology are dead.  Obviously, barring some miraculous visitation, I will never get their apology.  So if I stick with this policy, forgiveness is impossible in those cases.  There are still other cases where the offender is alive, but it is highly unlikely that they will ever apologize.  In some of these cases, I know they have no remorse for what they did.  Perhaps, in other cases, the offender doesn’t even know they hurt me.  If I require an apology or at least remorse, then the offender has the power to start the forgiveness process, not me.

Here's another problem with withholding forgiveness.  It may feel powerful to “hold an offense” over someone or even nurse a grudge.  Negative emotion is powerful even if it is negative power.  However, holding the offense in our heart robs me of energy that could be used in a much more positive way.  If someone is not sorry for hurting me, me choosing not to forgive them is not hurting them; it’s hurting me.  I’m certainly not punishing the dead with my unforgiveness.  Further, even those who might be in some way punished by me holding the offense over them are punished along with myself.  That is adding injustice to injustice.

Choosing to forgive whether or not there is remorse is a decision to take back the power.   It is claiming the initiative to do something about that which has hurt me.  It is the decision to no longer be a victim.  It creates new options for moving beyond the hurts of the past and beginning anew.  If is a life-giving choice instead of the life-diminishing choice of holding a grudge.  It is a way to, as Peter says above, “inherit a blessing.”

 

Question:   Are there grudges that I am holding onto that are punishing me more than anyone else?

 

Prayer:  Lord, we confess that we sometimes struggle with letting go of the past for many different reasons.  No matter the reasons, help us see the positive options available to us by choosing to forgive as You do.   Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for the victims of domestic violence today.

 

Song:  Forgiveness – Matthew West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Lu5udXEZI

No comments:

Post a Comment