Tuesday, August 16, 2022

An Often Overlooked Critical Life Skill

Several quick scriptures today:

2 Chron 15:7 “But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.”

Gal 6:9 “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

2 Cor 4:1 “Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart.”

 

Religions have always talked about the importance of hope, but now science is confirming it.  People who express hope fight disease more effectively, endure suffering better, stave off depression better, and are more effective at maintaining relationships.  In short, hope is more than an ideal; it’s a critical life skill.  Also, hope isn’t just something we have or we don’t. There are things we can do that regularly produce hope in us.

Prayer - Praying about my daily struggles and concerns helps me realize that God is at work in all of them and that gives me hope.

Reading/Learning – You all know that I read a lot.  I try to read 50 books and countless magazines, blogs, and other publications every year.  I tell you that not to brag. I read so much because nothing helps produce hope in me like learning new stuff.  I get that not everyone likes reading like I do, so if you’re one of those, there are other ways to learn new content – TED talks, YouTube videos, podcasts, audiobooks, etc.  The point is to be always learning.

Tomorrow, I’ll talk about some more hope-producing habits.  I HOPE you all will start conversing some more about these.  I, personally, love hearing your comments. It helps me to feel more connected now that we’re separated.  If nothing else, at least hit a reaction button to let me know you read it.   I love you all.

 

Prayer:  Dear God, You are our ultimate source of hope, but help us develop habits that cooperate with the hope-building in us.  Amen

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for people going through big life transitions right now.

 

Song:  Song of Hope (Heaven Come Down)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz3vyyy01aw

No comments:

Post a Comment