Friday, September 16, 2022

“As One w/ Authority”

Mark 1:21-28 - They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach.  The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law.  Just then a man in their synagogue who was possessed by an impure spirit cried out,  “What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”

“Be quiet!” said Jesus sternly. “Come out of him!”  The impure spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek. The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, “What is this? A new teaching—and with authority! He even gives orders to impure spirits and they obey him.”  News about him spread quickly over the whole region of Galilee.

 

This is Jesus’s public synagogue teaching debut in the book of Mark and he makes a big splash.  Like the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964, people immediately realize they are experiencing something brand new.  They describe their surprise because Jesus teaches “as one with authority.”  You see, before Jesus, the Rabbi’s, scribes, and other spiritual leaders speak from the authority of what has been written by others, namely what we now call the Old testament and the many Rabbinical Writings written about the Old Testament scriptures.  Jesus may reference those documents, but He speaks as one who has His own innate authority that matches and even exceeds those of the scriptures.   He then demonstrates this unique authority by commanding demons to “hush” and come out of the man they had possessed.  Shockingly, the demons obey.  The people are amazed by this because they have never encountered it before.  It is as if God is speaking directly to them and commanding demons in that very room.  It seems like that because that is exactly what is happening. 

 

This text raises a monumental issue for the Judeo-Christian tradition that is still being wrestled with today.  Do the teachings of Jesus have more authority than that of the Old Testament?  Hundreds of very long books have been written that attempt to answer that question.  I have read several of them over the years, but I do not aspire to answer the question definitely.  I have a personal conviction and I simply share it with you here.  I believe Jesus’s teachings do deserve primary consideration within the scriptures contained in the Old and New Testaments. 

 

I believe this for at least a couple of pretty unscholarly reasons.  Nevertheless, they are reasons.  First, Jesus Himself seems to think that His authority is greater than what was written before.  In several places within the Gospels, Jesus quotes scripture and then personally supplants it.  Often, it goes something like this; “You have heard it said …,” (fill in the blank with a known scriptural quotation), “but I say . . ..”  Jesus goes on to introduce a new teaching that supercedes or changes the previous scriptural teaching.  My second reason is that if I believe Jesus to be God in the flesh, than it makes sense that what He says carries more authority than what someone else wrote about their experience of what God said.  If I hear my brother relay something to me that my Dad said, but then I personally hear my Dad say something different on the same issue, I tend to trust the first person experience over the hearsay. 

 

I like the illustration that Adam Hamilton uses to support the same idea.  He says that the teachings and commands of Jesus serve as a filter or “colander” to sift through the whole of the scriptural writings.  This by no means invalidates the Old Testament or the other New testament authors, but all of that should be interpreted in the light of the revelation of Jesus.  As Hamilton himself states, "It is Jesus who serves as the final Word by which other words of scripture are to be judged."  (p. 177, Making Sense of the Bible)

 

Jesus is my scriptural colander.  You don’t have to agree with me, but I do invite you to think about it. 

 

Question:  We all pick and choose “our favorite scriptures.” On what basis do you decide what your favorite scriptures are?

 

Prayer:  God, I thank you for becoming a human being and speaking your Word directly to us.  May your teachings guide all that we do and how we live. Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for God to bless people you have a hard time agreeing with today.  I know it’s hard, but do it anyway. 

 

Song:  The B-I-B-L-E – Kids Worship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8qgSZsL6k0

No comments:

Post a Comment