Thursday, October 27, 2022

Stuff Just Got Real

Mark 5:21-24a, CEB - Jesus crossed the lake again, and on the other side a large crowd gathered around him on the shore.  Jairus, one of the synagogue leaders, came forward. When he saw Jesus, he fell at his feet and pleaded with him, “My daughter is about to die. Please, come and place your hands on her so that she can be healed and live.”  So Jesus went with him.

 

We’re going to spend a few reflections on this story because there is a lot to unpack in this dual-healing story.  Today, let’s talk about Jairus.  He was a leader in the local synagogue in Capernaum.  We don’t know much more about him except that Jesus and religious leaders generally experienced at the very least, a tense relationship.  We don’t know how Jairus felt about Jesus, but like other religious leaders, he was probably at least skeptical about what Jesus was all about.  But Jairus had obviously heard stories that Jesus was a healer.  And Jairus’s little girl was dying.  When your little girl is in trouble, your personal feelings about someone take a back seat to the fact that maybe, just maybe that person can help her.  In fact, it’s situations like this that put our personal feelings about someone in proper perspective.  Someone you love is dying and someone you have access to can help her.  Stuff just got real.

When my oldest daughter, Emily was 8, she had a life-threatening brain bleed.  I’ll spare you most of the terror of that day, but I’ll just say that I know how Jairus felt.  I would have sought to enlist the help of anyone, even my worst enemy, if I thought they could help my little girl.  Emily was taken by helicopter across town to get the care of pediatric neurological surgeons.  We made our way by car to that hospital as fast as we could.  My associate pastor at the time began to organize a prayer meeting at the church for Emily and I was thankful for that.  Emily had not been conscious for most of the day and the prayer meeting began about 7:00pm.  Shortly after the praying began, Emily woke up and greeted her grandparents like nothing had ever happened.  They did a brain scan the next day and they found no evidence that the brain bleed had ever happened!

I had been a Christian most of my life and a pastor for several years when this happened.  I had often preached on the power of prayer, but that day, what I had preached about became real in an intensely personal way.  It was life-changing moment for me. Prayer for me has been different ever since that day.  As I said before, we will talk more about this story in the coming days, but for now, I want to highlight this truth.  When we encounter crisis, it is an opportunity to see our beliefs “take on flesh.” It’s hard to remember that in the crisis itself, so today I seek to reinforce the truth so it’s embedded before crisis arrives.  If you happen to be in crisis right now, please accept this as a voice in the whirlwind. 

 

Question:  What experiences have you had that made your faith more “real?”

 

Prayer: Lord, thank You for the moments where Your truth becomes more tangible and powerful.  Reinforce that truth in us so that it is accessible when crisis comes.  Amen,

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for parents you know who are having a hard time with their children.

 

Song:  Stand In Faith – Danny Gokey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIREaGBN4Jw

No comments:

Post a Comment