Friday, November 25, 2022

Could They Be Any More Clueless?!

Mark 8:14-21, CEB - Jesus’ disciples had forgotten to bring any bread, so they had only one loaf with them in the boat. He gave them strict orders: “Watch out and be on your guard for the yeast of the Pharisees as well as the yeast of Herod.”

The disciples discussed this among themselves, “He said this because we have no bread.”

Jesus knew what they were discussing and said, “Why are you talking about the fact that you don’t have any bread? Don’t you grasp what has happened? Don’t you understand? Are your hearts so resistant to what God is doing?  Don’t you have eyes? Why can’t you see? Don’t you have ears? Why can’t you hear? Don’t you remember?  When I broke five loaves of bread for those five thousand people, how many baskets full of leftovers did you gather?”

They answered, “Twelve.”

“And when I broke seven loaves of bread for those four thousand people, how many baskets full of leftovers did you gather?”

They answered, “Seven.”

Jesus said to them, “And you still don’t understand?”

 

Could the disciples be any more clueless?  This is the question that runs through my head as I read this passage.  I think this not so much because the disciples don’t fully understand what is happening with the two feedings of the thousands.  I’ve been reading these stories for decades and I still struggle to grasp the full import of what Jesus is doing here.  But I know it has NOTHING to do with the fact that the disciples have forgotten to bring bread on their boat trip.  Jesus has supernaturally provide nutrition for close to ten thousand people and the disciples are worried about having enough bread for the thirteen people in the boat.  Really?! 

My indignance persists until I remember that, on dozens of occasions, I catch myself worrying about the stupidest things.  I got completely bent out of shape just the other day because my internet connection wasn’t working. Another time, it was because I had missed a minor deadline.  In my sanest and most faith-filled moments, I am just as indignant with myself, possibly more so, as I am with the disciples.  Here’s the truth that is a little hard to hear; Jesus is a bit indignant about it too.  His barrage of rhetorical questions conveys His incredulity at the disciples cluelessness. 

I think we like to believe that Jesus is always “ranibows and unicorns” with us. 

“Oh that’s okay that you worry about insignificant things,” we imagine Him saying. 

“I know you’re just having a bad day. . .it will be better tomorrow,” we fantasize hearing Jesus speak to us.

                But the truth is, sometimes we need to hear Jesus incredulous disappointment to jar us back into spiritual sanity.  And here in this passage, Jesus doesn’t hold back. Jesus walks the disciples through what has happened, prompting them to remember how He provided for them and thousands of others.  He points out with His questions tha, in each occasion, the leftover food was as much or more than they started with in the first place.  Everyone ate until they were full and there were plenty of leftovers. 

I should note that Jesus was also trying to point out something significant by rehearsing the specific numbers of loaves they started with and how many they had left over.  I have read more than half a dozen theories as to the symbolism in those numbers.  I am not overly convinced by any of them, so I won’t list them here.  However, it is clear that Mark was confident that the first readers of his gospel would clearly understand the symbolism.  However, two centuries later, the point is largely lost on us.  What isn’t lost is that Jesus cannot believe that the disciples are still not understanding the whole thing.  He does not mind sharing His disappointment with them and I think they needed to hear it. These same disciples, just a couple of years later, will be the ones who multiply the work of Christ many times over.  But in this instance, they need to hear that they have more growing to do.  They won’t become who God has called them to be if they aren’t held accountable for doing better.

There are times that we too need to receive this “tough love” even though it is not pleasant.   Sometimes it comes from parents, friends, mentors, or even sometimes our children.  Sometimes it comes from reading a scripture like the one above.  God may use just about anything to do the prompting, but the question is, are we open to receiving correction.  Can we hear God’s disappointment when it comes and respond?

 

Question:  When was the last time you were able to graciously receive correction and respond in a positive manner?

 

Prayer:  Lord, sometimes what we need is to hear that you love us in spite of our fumbling and cluelessness.  Other times, we need a little (or big) “kick in the pants.”  Help us hear Your prompting today in whatever form it comes and respond.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Spend some time today asking God to center you spiritually as we begin the busy season of Advent leading up to Christmas. 

 

Song:  10,000 Reasons – Matt Redman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3K3roEF36k

No comments:

Post a Comment