Tuesday, February 28, 2023

That Pathetic Crowd

 

Mark 15:1-15, CEB - At daybreak, the chief priests—with the elders, legal experts, and the whole Sanhedrin—formed a plan. They bound Jesus, led him away, and turned him over to Pilate.  Pilate questioned him, “Are you the king of the Jews?”

Jesus replied, “That’s what you say.”  The chief priests were accusing him of many things.

Pilate asked him again, “Aren’t you going to answer? What about all these accusations?”  But Jesus gave no more answers, so that Pilate marveled.

During the festival, Pilate released one prisoner to them, whomever they requested.  A man named Barabbas was locked up with the rebels who had committed murder during an uprising.  The crowd pushed forward and asked Pilate to release someone, as he regularly did.  Pilate answered them, “Do you want me to release to you the king of the Jews?”  He knew that the chief priests had handed him over because of jealousy.  But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have him release Barabbas to them instead.  Pilate replied, “Then what do you want me to do with the one you call king of the Jews?”

They shouted back, “Crucify him!”

Pilate said to them, “Why? What wrong has he done?”

They shouted even louder, “Crucify him!”

Pilate wanted to satisfy the crowd, so he released Barabbas to them. He had Jesus whipped, then handed him over to be crucified.

 

                The detail in this scene that always disturbs me the most is how the crowd turns on Jesus.  This is the crowd that only a couple of days ago cheered Jesus as he entered Jerusalem. They marveled at His teaching in the Temple and His putting of the religious leaders in their place.  Now, stirred by those same religious leaders and under the watchful eye of Pilate, they cry out for Jesus’s crucifixion.  They willingly participate in the greatest miscarriage of justice that this world has ever seen – the crucifixion of the Son of God.

I’m actually more disappointed with the crowd than I am Pilate or the religious leaders.  Pilate at least makes an attempt at avoiding punishing someone who is obviously guilty of nothing.  The religious leaders have convinced themselves that they are doing the right thing by getting rid of Jesus.  To be sure, as Mark notes, their treachery also speaks to their burning jealousy of Jesus.  They are protecting what’s theirs from this interloper.  I can understand that in a way while condemning it at the same time.  The crowd however, is so easily swayed toward this betrayal even though Jesus is no threat.  They aren’t intimidated by the Roman Governor to go along with this out of fear.  The crowd knows that Pilate has no interest in killing Jesus.  It just seems all too easy that the religious leaders can convince a crowd to condemn an innocent man. 

I’d like to think that I’d have been different if I had been in the crowd that day – that I would shout “injustice” and protest vehemently.  I’d like to think that, at the very least, I would have remained silent or even walked away so as not to give any sign that I support this travesty.   But the truth is, I will never know what I would do in this situation.  What I do know about myself is that I am capable of behavior that is at least as shameful as that of this crowd.  I know this because I have committed such behavior.  There have been times when I have been even more shocked and surprised at my own behavior than I have ever been with this fickle crowd.  I don’t like to admit that, but not admitting that doesn’t make it any less true. 

I believe that is why Mark and the other gospel writers recall this sad event.  I believe they want us all to see ourselves as participants in this injustice.  If we were all perfectly fine, the crucifixion would not necessary.  It we all truly understood the import of the gospel, than the gospel would not have to include God dying on a cross.  If we all practiced love so well, than Jesus would not have had to demonstrate what love shown to the fullest extent looks like.  We are all part of “the crowd.”  Jesus knew that the crowd would let Him down; Jesus knew that we would let  Him down. 

 

Question:  In what ways has your capacity to not do the right thing ever surprised you?

 

Prayer:  Have mercy on us Jesus.  Despite our best intentions, we too often disappoint You and even ourselves.  Help us see our need for you.  May we respond to Your sacrifice and accept the redemption You offer.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Spend some time today in confession to God about the areas of your life where you are aware of a need to do better.

 

Song:  Nailed to the Cross - Rend Collective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFLk6v7US3I

No comments:

Post a Comment