Friday, February 24, 2023

The Beauty of Fantastic Failure

Mark 14:66-72, CEB - Meanwhile, Peter was below in the courtyard. A woman, one of the high priest’s servants, approached  and saw Peter warming himself by the fire. She stared at him and said, “You were also with the Nazarene, Jesus.”

But he denied it, saying, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t understand what you’re saying.” And he went outside into the outer courtyard. A rooster crowed.

The female servant saw him and began a second time to say to those standing around, “This man is one of them.” But he denied it again.

A short time later, those standing around again said to Peter, “You must be one of them, because you are also a Galilean.”

But he cursed and swore, “I don’t know this man you’re talking about.”  At that very moment, a rooster crowed a second time. Peter remembered what Jesus told him, “Before a rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times.” And he broke down, sobbing.

 

            Though Peter’s thrice-denial of Jesus is famous, it is not why we remember Peter.  He is revered in the Catholic church as the first Pope. All subsequent Popes are spiritual descendants of Peter.  Peter is the author of New Testament letters and he is a central figure in the exponential growth of the first-century church.  Though this sad story is definitely one of Peter’s low moments, it does not ultimately doesn’t define the character of Peter’s legacy.

            Having said that, this denial of Jesus plays a critical role in Peter becoming the central figure in the early church.  It forces Peter to see something in himself that Jesus saw, but Peter (ironically) denied.  Jesus tells Peter that he will deny Him three times and Peter defiantly and boldly proclaims that it will not be so – that he will die with Jesus before doing such a heinous thing.  This explains Peter sobbing when He found himself doing the very thing he boasted he would never do.  It broke Peter. . . and this a good thing.

            My guess is that Peter never forgot this moment.  Even when he later did the same things Jesus did - confronting authorities, attracting hordes of disciples, and starting new faith communities around the known world – I feel certain Peter recalled this terrible moment multiple times.  It reminded him of his capacity for failure and kept him humble.  It kept him from judging others’ failures too quickly.  It reminded him that he was the beneficiary of grace and so grace should be part of his legacy as well.  In short, Peter’s failure made him more Christlike.  Another apostle, Paul, would put it this way:

“Therefore, I’m all right with weaknesses, insults, disasters, harassments, and stressful situations for the sake of Christ, because when I’m weak, then I’m strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:10)

In the kingdom of God, awareness of our weakness is our greatest strength because it causes us to depend fully on the power of God instead of our own.  Embracing our failures and our flaws forces to live by grace alone. 

            There are so many moments in my past for which I wish that I could get a do-over.  I relive them in my mind from time to time and it’s still painful. I know I’ve been forgiven by God and others for those low moments, but the memory of them still stings.  I suspect that might never change.  But I’m okay if that is the case.  Those mistakes and the memory of them have given me a grace that I don’t know that I would have if I had always gotten things right.  Being a flawed and broken human is good thing in the Kingdom of Jesus.  Praise be to God!

 

Question: How have your mistakes, and your memory of them, helped or hurt you?

 

Prayer:  Lord, to the extent that our mistakes have paralyzed us, set us free by your forgiveness and grace.  But to extent that they keep us humble, non-judgmental, and dependent on You, we are thankful.  Make us more like You Jesus.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for the victims of mass shootings that are happening daily in our country.

 

Song:  Not By Might – Leslie Phillips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1yQstWOh_s  

No comments:

Post a Comment