Thursday, February 9, 2023

What Will We Doing When He Shows Up?

Mark 13:33-37, CEB - Watch out! Stay alert! You don’t know when the time is coming.  It is as if someone took a trip, left the household behind, and put the servants in charge, giving each one a job to do, and told the doorkeeper to stay alert.  Therefore, stay alert! You don’t know when the head of the household will come,whether in the evening or at midnight, or when the rooster crows in the early morning or at daybreak.  Don’t let him show up when you weren’t expecting and find you sleeping.  What I say to you, I say to all: Stay alert!”

 

                As the “Little Apocalypse” of Mark 13 draws to close, Jesus drives home the main point with a simple parable which foreshadows what is about to happen.  The owner of the household (Jesus) is about to leave his servants (disciples) in charge.  They are to attend to their duties conscientiously knowing that the owner is coming back.  Not knowing when, they have to be always watchful to see His return.  They do not want to be caught not doing their job.  Vigilance is key!

                Constant vigilance, however, is also very difficult for humans.  We are easily distracted.  We get bored. We get tired.  We get lost. We lose our focus.  Sometimes, we even lose hope.  This is even more challenging when the vigilance we are to maintain has been charged to us by another. I am way better at staying focused on what I want to do than a task given to me by someone else.  What about you?

                What is the work that God has given you to do?  How’s it going?  If Jesus showed up later today, what would be your reaction?  Spend some time today thinking about these questions. 

 

Prayer:  Lord, forgive me for getting distracted, bored, tired, lost, and/or unfocused.  Renew my hope.  Make it clear what my focus should be at this point in my life and help me stay alert. Amen,

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for people who life situation has changed recently in a significant way.  Pray for a fruitful transition.

 

Song:  I Wish We'd All Been Ready - DC Talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu_fm0oedGU

No comments:

Post a Comment