Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Consider it Pure Joy?

James 1:2-8 - Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.  That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.  Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

 

This text has been one of my favorites since I was a teenager.  It is one that I return to whenever I find myself in crisis and/or difficulty.  As you can imagine, it’s come to the forefront of my mind many times over few years.  The opening phrase, “count it all pure joy…” always trips me up.  “Pure joy” has never been the phrase I have used to describe periods of trial.  I guess I’m not that spiritually mature.  It is always much later that I can look back on the time of trial and take joy from it.  But here’s the key to that;  in the moment that I realize that I am in the midst of trial, I need to resolve that it is an opportunity for growth and joy to happen.  I may not be especially joyful about it at that moment, but the resolve to be open to the growth makes future joy possible. 

I am aware that many of you are in the midst of trial right now as well.  I know that, even if you are not personally, chances are that someone you care about is..  We have many who are fighting cancer.  We know families that financially are on the verge of losing everything.  There are other trials that we are not even aware of at this time.  In addition to that, I am aware that there are many trials ahead of us in the coming days, weeks, and months.  I know it is hard, but I ask you to open your hearts to the possibility that, as these trials confront us, joy is not only possible but can be expected on the other side.  As Psalm 30:5 says, “weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.”  Count on that. Expect it. Look for it. God is good all the time and all the time, God is good.

 

Question:  How have you experienced strength and blessing coming out of trial in the past?

 

Prayer:  God, you can take any trial and squeeze joy out of it. Do that for all of us who are in the midst of trials this day.

 

Prayer Focus:  Though we are effectively emerging from the COVID pandemic, 1.1 million people died since January 2020.  Pray for all those families today who are still grieving this unimaginable loss. 

 

Song:  Graves Into Gardens ft. Brandon Lake | Live | Elevation Worship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwX1f2gYKZ4&list=PLRZlMhcYkA2HCg8PZnI1EaqcnIhU-Kd3T&index=3

No comments:

Post a Comment