Friday, June 16, 2023

What Makes Someone Good?

As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.”

You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’”

“Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

                                                                Mark 10:17-21

 

“He’s a good man.”

I’ve said that many times about people who have come up in conversation.  I’ve heard lots of other people say it to me about people they know.  But what does that really mean?  As I think about it now, I think when I say it, I usually am describing more of a feeling I get about my experience of that person.  My experience of that person has been good.  But really, what does it really mean to display the fruit of goodness in the way that we live?

Jesus brings clarity to this issue in a conversation found in three of the four Gospels.  Jesus picks up on what seems to be an unimportant part of the man’s question to make an important point – a point that will make it clear what we must do to display goodness. 

The man addresses Jesus as “Good Teacher.”  Jesus asks in reply, “Why to you call me good – only God is good?”  Some have actually suggested that this is denying his divinity, but I think the exact opposite is true.  I think Jesus is trying to lead the man to realize that he is in fact divine.  To illustrate, let me use a different imaginary conversation.

A man named George approaches his Doctor, and says, “Hey Dr. James…”

Dr. James replies, “Why do you call me Dr?”

George thinks for a moment.  When looking for a doctor, he did a search on the internet and Dr. Kendrick James came up in the results, so he called to make an appointment.  But he realizes, he doesn’t really know if this man he has entrusted his health to is actually a medical doctor. 

“Come to think of it,” George answers, “I don’t really know. Are you actually a doctor?”

Dr. James walks over to the wall.  “So glad you asked… here’s all of my degrees, including my medical degree from Johns Hopkins.”

Something similar is happening in Jesus’s conversation with the man in the above passage and there’s some really important teaching here.  First, Jesus points out, “only God is good.”  If there is goodness in anyone, it comes from God.  Second, after pointing out that only God is good, Jesus goes on to walk him through six of the Ten Commandments.  It was a long time before I noticed that the six Jesus mentions are the six that have to do with loving people.  God ahead and check above.  I’ll be here when you come back.

The man responds to Jesus by confirming he has kept these six commandments since childhood.  Jesus doesn’t dispute that.  Instead, he points to other four Commandments that have to do with loving God without actually listing them.  He says, ““One thing you lack; Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

“Then, come follow me,” is the key phrase here.  Jesus establishes that goodness only comes from God, that the man has made money his God, and so he must give that up and follow Jesus to inherit eternal life and goodness.  In effect, Jesus is saying, “to be good, follow me because I am good because I am God,” 

My goodness and your goodness do not come from us.  They come from the God who created us and called us good.  Our goodness grows and blooms from following the Spirit of God within us.  Next time, we’ll talk about those “blooms” or fruit of goodness.

 

Prayer:  God, you alone are good.  We thank you that you have created us, redeemed us, and sustain us for sharing in your goodness.  Grow your good fruit in us.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for lawmakers at every level as they seek to make changes in our laws that will allow healing of the deep divisions in our country right now.

 

Song:  Israel & New Breed - You Are Good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul6i6Kz2p2k

No comments:

Post a Comment