Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Jude’s Claim to Fame

Jude 24-25, CEB - Now all glory to God, who is able to keep you from falling away and will bring you with great joy into his glorious presence without a single fault.  All glory to him who alone is God, our Savior through Jesus Christ our Lord. All glory, majesty, power, and authority are his before all time, and in the present, and beyond all time! Amen.

               

                The ending to Jude’s short letter is a passage that has been used countless times over the centuries as a benediction.  It is an absolutely gorgeous expression of praise to God and proclamation of divine provision for those who trust in God.  It has inspired many over the years and it continues to inspire me. 

                One of the powerful proclamations Jude makes here is the assurance that God is able to “keep you from falling away.”  I am drawn to that because I am all too familiar with my propensity to fall away.  It’s never on purpose, but the old hymn describes me well;  “prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love.”  Most of the time, I’ve wandered quite far before I even realize it.  Maybe I’m not the only one who is like that.

                Good news . . . God knows I’m like that.  Even more than that, God is often the one who prompts me to come back and paves the way for me to do so.  Sometimes it is a “still small voice.”  Sometimes it is an unnerving jolt.  It is not always pleasant, but like a parent who is willing to be unpleasant in order to protect the child and bring them back into the fold, God is able and willing to do the same.  Obviously, there has to be a willingness on my part to be brought back.  But it is good to know that God is able and willing to do it when I am agreeable.

                There’s more good news.  Not only is God willing to bring me back when I stray, God is willing to treat me as if I’d never strayed in the first placed.  This is God’s justifying grace, the grace that treats me “just-as-if-I’d” never sinned.  No wonder Jude describes us coming back into God’s fold with ”great joy!”

                All this is because of Jesus Christ.  And because of that, All glory, majesty, power, and authority are his before all time, and in the present, and beyond all time! Amen!

 

Question:  Instead of a question today, simply recite Jude’s benediction to yourself slowly a couple of times as a way to allow God to bring you into the divine presence.

 

Prayer:  Lord, you are awesome.  I praise You for your forgiving and gracious character.  I thank you for bringing me back so many times when I’ve strayed.  “Here’s my heart. Take and seal it Seal it for Thy courts above.”  All the glory, power, and authority are Yours.  Amen and Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for flood victims today who have lost everything.

 

Song:  Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing - Chris Rice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_aACQ9LjoM

No comments:

Post a Comment