Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Matthew 7:2-5 The Problem with People and Their Behavior

 

Daily Devo w/ Pastor Eric September 8

The Problem with People and Their Behavior

 

Matthew 7:2-5 “Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. ”

 

A commentary on this passage on the internet said this: 

“The world has largely closed its ears to the message of the Gospel because Christians can’t seem to get their own house in order before telling everyone else how to clean up theirs. That’s pride. And God hates pride more than just about any other sin.”

The link between judgement is the key to what Jesus is talking about here.  As soon as I judge, I consciously or unconsciously make a decision that someone is more and someone is less.  That is pride and pride is sin. 

Jesus is not saying that we can’t make judgements about behavior.  We have to make decisions about helpful and unhelpful behavior.  But often, we equate the value of the behavior with the value of the person.  As soon as I do that, I violate an important Christian principle – the principle that all persons have infinite worth.  If we all have the same value and I devalue you, I, by definition devalue myself.  This is why Jesus says that judging others brings judgement on yourself.  He isn’t being punitive. He doesn’t want me to bring judgement on myself by judging others. 

All of that makes sense to me intellectually, but in reality, it’s really hard to keep the value of people and their behavior separate. It’s even to hard to do it for ourselves.  Our culture constantly puts different values on people for many different reasons (wealth, fame, race, age, job, etc). Our culture also tends to equate people with their behavior.  People guilty of bad behavior are put in jail and then are treated like caged animals. Perhaps not as dramatic but also unhelpful is when I decide that someone is “not worth my time.”  That decision hurts me as well as the person I judged. 

One thing that helps me keep people and their behavior separate is reminding myself, when I’m tempted to judge, that given a certain set of circumstances, I could display the same behavior.  This requires brutal self-honesty, but it is the dose of reality I need to keep me out of judgement.  It actually does more than that. It clears the way for a much better alternative – compassion.

 

Question:  What helps you stay out of judgement?

 

Prayer: Jesus, thank you for your warning about how judgement can hurt others and ourselves. Teach us how to move from judgement toward compassion.

 

Prayer Focus: Spend some time praying for your own deepest needs today.

 

Song: Sly and the Family Stone – Everyday People

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmooIolK0mY

No comments:

Post a Comment