Friday, July 8, 2022

Gideon - A Strange Combination of Boldness and Mistrust

Judges 6:11-24 - Now the angel of the Lord came and sat under the oak at Ophrah, which belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, as his son Gideon was beating out wheat in the wine press, to hide it from the Midianites.  The angel of the Lord appeared to him and said to him, “The Lord is with you, you mighty warrior.”  Gideon answered him, “But sir, if the Lord is with us, why then has all this happened to us? And where are all his wonderful deeds that our ancestors recounted to us, saying, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up from Egypt?’ But now the Lord has cast us off, and given us into the hand of Midian.”  Then the Lord turned to him and said, “Go in this might of yours and deliver Israel from the hand of Midian; I hereby commission you.”  He responded, “But sir, how can I deliver Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”  The Lord said to him, “But I will be with you, and you shall strike down the Midianites, every one of them.”  Then he said to him, “If now I have found favor with you, then show me a sign that it is you who speak with me.  Do not depart from here until I come to you, and bring out my present, and set it before you.” And he said, “I will stay until you return.”

So Gideon went into his house and prepared a kid, and unleavened cakes from an ephah of flour; the meat he put in a basket, and the broth he put in a pot, and brought them to him under the oak and presented them.  The angel of God said to him, “Take the meat and the unleavened cakes, and put them on this rock, and pour out the broth.” And he did so.  Then the angel of the Lord reached out the tip of the staff that was in his hand, and touched the meat and the unleavened cakes; and fire sprang up from the rock and consumed the meat and the unleavened cakes; and the angel of the Lord vanished from his sight.  Then Gideon perceived that it was the angel of the Lord; and Gideon said, “Help me, Lord God! For I have seen the angel of the Lord face to face.” But the Lord said to him, “Peace be to you; do not fear, you shall not die.” Then Gideon built an altar there to the Lord, and called it, The Lord is peace. To this day it still stands at Ophrah, which belongs to the Abiezrites.

 

Today, we take up another of the Judges, Gideon.  His story begins with the Hebrews being under the thumb of the Midianites after Deborah had died and the Israelites once again began to serve other Gods.  The story above is the story of God’s call of Gideon.  What strikes me about Gideon is two traits that don’t seem to go together – a boldness before God AND an inherent lack of trust in God. 

The Angel of the Lord called him to lead God’s people, but Gideon protests with obvious anger for God.  His perception is God has abandoned the people and he lets the Angel know about it.  I love the Lord’s response: “Go in this might of yours and deliver Israel from the hand of Midian; I hereby commission you.”  God doesn’t condemn Gideon for his boldness that borders on disrespect.  God intends to USE this impetuousness to address the very problem Gideon is protesting – the Midianites. 

Then the lack of trust shows up:  “But sir, how can I deliver Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”

I believe God sees this for what it is: the starting place and foundation for a very strong faith.  Gideon knows he can’t do this.  No one will take him seriously much less follow him.  He knows, humanly speaking, he is the wrong choice.  This is precisely what God needs; God needs someone who knows that they cannot do it in their own position, strength or intelligence.  That is still who God needs to do the work of the Kingdom.

“I will be with you,” the Lord replies.

But Gideon is not a believer yet.  He essentially tests God. He asks God for a sign.  Other places in the Bible actually warn against doing that.  We’ll talk more about that tomorrow. But what I’ll say now is that Gideon wanted to believe that the Lord had indeed called him and I think this touches God’s heart. The last part of the scripture above describes the test.  God indulges Gideon and passes with flying colors.

Gideon does now believe he has been called by the Lord of his ancestors.  He is willing to move forward.  As we’ll see, he will continue to question God, but at this point, he knows who he is questioning.  This is progress.  God worked with that and God can still work with that.

Whatever mustard seed of trust you have right now, aim it at the God of your ancestors – maybe for some not the God of your immediate ancestors, but I assure you this.  There were those in your family tree that came before you who trusted in the same God who was responding to Gideon.  Point your trust there and see what this God can do.

 

Prayer:  God of our ancestors.  Take our bold questions and forge them into faith. Amen

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for people who don’t where to place their trust right now.

 

Song: Help My Unbelief - Audrey Assad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miNIRE2rju0

No comments:

Post a Comment