Monday, July 11, 2022

Gideon’s Trust Issues

 

Then Gideon said to God, “In order to see whether you will deliver Israel by my hand, as you have said,  I am going to lay a fleece of wool on the threshing floor; if there is dew on the fleece alone, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know that you will deliver Israel by my hand, as you have said.”  And it was so. When he rose early next morning and squeezed the fleece, he wrung enough dew from the fleece to fill a bowl with water.  Then Gideon said to God, “Do not let your anger burn against me, let me speak one more time; let me, please, make trial with the fleece just once more; let it be dry only on the fleece, and on all the ground let there be dew.”  And God did so that night. It was dry on the fleece only, and on all the ground there was dew.                              Judges 6:36-40

 

Did I mention that Gideon has trust issues?  But he is aware of it.  When he says, “do not let your anger burn against me,” he knows he should trust God, but he’s just not there yet.  God is patient and gives him multiple confirmations.  We read this and may think to ourselves, “I would trust the first time.”  But would you really? Do you really?

I know I often don’t.  There were six years of confirmations before I responded to a call to be a pastor.  Gideon is a hero in my book for going all out after just a few “fleece moments.”  The reason someone wrote own his story and another group of someones decided to include it in collection of books that make up our Bible is that we can read this story and see that the Lord often honors our fleecing.  I’m guessing one or two of you need to hear that today.

But you might bring up what Jesus said; “you shall not test the Lord your God.” (Matthew 4:7)  Here’s the difference.  Jesus was talking to the Devil when he said that and the Devil was trying to get Jesus to do something God didn’t want done.  Gideon asked God for a confirmation so that he could feel confident about what God DID want done.  Gideon wasn’t asking for God to show him what to do; he already knew what God wanted.  But he needed more faith, and God is always interested in helping people have more faith.

Having said that, let me qualify it a bit.  God is always interested in us having more faith, but sometimes there are better ways for us to have more faith than to see God pass our arbitrary tests.  Jesus sometimes refused to give a sign when people were asking for it and then other times, signs were given even before someone asked for them.  So if you know what God wants you to do and you’re having trouble moving forward in faith, by all means, put out a fleece.  But just know that God’s help for you to trust him more may come in a different way.  Sometimes the added measure of faith comes through moving forward without confirmation and seeing God give you the victory.  The main idea here is that God can be trusted to do what will increase your faith in the best possible way. 

Prayer:  Lord, help me move past my need to test you so that I may trust you to do what you already said you would do.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for those who are still having trouble finding work and whose unemployment benefits will run out soon.

 

Song: Plumb – God Help Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wRpTySE_8A

No comments:

Post a Comment