Thursday, September 29, 2022

The Roller Coaster

 


We take a break from our series on the book of Mark to address the situation in Florida right now.

 

1 Corinthians 13:8-13 - Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.  For we know in part and we prophesy in part,  but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

 

This week has been quite an emotional roller coaster.  It began while, in the midst of dealing with my truck breaking down, I was summoned to Jacksonville with my brother (who has been battling cancer for the last 8-9 months) being admitted to the ICU with the family being told that he might not survive.  Over the next few days, he fought hard and pulled through.  He continues to improve as I write this and all the McCreazies are immensely thankful to God for that.  While that was all unfolding, Hurricane Ian was moving off the mainland of Cuba and taking aim at Florida.  Ian ended up making landfall among the barrier islands of southwest Florida yesterday.  One of those islands, Pine Island, is where I served my last church before moving to Hernando just over a year ago. 

The early reports from the island are heartbreaking.  The bridge to the mainland is washed away, many treasured landmarks are gone, and countless homes and business are completely destroyed.  There are unconfirmed reports of many deaths and I fear that we haven’t heard the worst yet.   Even inland, in Cape Coral and Fort Myers, the videos and reports are catastrophic.

 My son and his girlfriend were in Fort Myers just hours before the storm hit and thankfully were able to make it to our home in Hernando around midday yesterday.  Hernando has been largely unaffected by the storm while it is currently passing over Orlando where my oldest daughter is and is projected to move toward Jacksonville where the rest of my family is over the next day or two.    

So, I find myself filled with this insane mixture of emotions.  I am so grateful for the improvement my brother’s condition, though he still has mountains of adversity ahead of him.  I am so relieved my son and his girlfriend arrived safely at our home.  I have mixed feelings about Hernando being largely untouched by Ian because I know people that I dearly love have not been so fortunate.  Further, not knowing about how so many more people I love are doing right now is a heavy burden.  And finally, I find myself feeling a bit silly for sharing my concerns because I am safe, healthy, and not in danger. I feel a bit schizophrenic at the moment. 

Pulling up from all of this to gain a wider perspective, the underlying reason for all these competing emotions is the web of strong relationships in my life.  My fears, worries, praises, fits of gratitude, grief, moments of relief mixed with awe, and all the other emotions I have difficulty naming stem directly from the love I have for so many people and the love so many people have for me.  Such is the way in which God has blessed me and so many of you.    So I’ll take it and thank God for all of it, even the parts that hurt.  The alternative is being completely isolated, alone, caring for nothing and no one other than myself.  I want no part of that. 

So today and the coming days, I’ll pray for all those I love in need, being sure to mix all my petitions with praise and thanksgiving.  I will look for tangible ways for me (and those I lead) to help those who are devastated and facing the unknown.  I will hug my loved ones tighter and reach out to people that haven’t heard from me in a while.  Somewhere in all of that, my truck will get fixed too.  Life and love goes on.  The roller coaster ride continues. Praise be to God for all of it.

 

Question:  What is the connection between the positive and/or negative emotions you are experiencing right now and your relationships with people you love?

 

Prayer:  God, thank you for all of it – the good, the bad, the ugly, the painful, the joyful and everything else.  Help me embrace all of it as an opportunity to love well and serve the greater good.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray a little more for all the people that tug at your emotions right now.

 

Song:  Stubborn Love – The Lumineers

This song came to mind while I was writing the above.  It obviously was written about a romantic relationship, but I think a lot of what is said applies to what I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGewQB3mDv4

No comments:

Post a Comment