Wednesday, September 14, 2022

This is Changing Everything

Mark 1:14-15 - After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God.  “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”

 

We are only 15 short verses into Mark and already, prophets foretelling the coming of the Messiah have been quoted. John the Baptist’s ministry begins and ends.  Jesus is baptized, anointed by God the Father, and then spends forty days in the desert.  John is put in prison and Jesus first message is preached.  Mark is definitely an author committed to using as few words as possible!  No wonder people generally like the other three gospels better – they have a lot more juicy details!

 

However, what this economy of words does for us is give us the gospel of Jesus in outline form.  Almost every paragraph is a headline.  Today the headline is this:

 

The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”

 

It has been at least a few hundred years since the last Old Testament Prophet has spoken.  Israel lives under the thumb of the Romans.  Most of the Israelites lived in poverty and oppressive taxation.  Place yourself in that position.  Imagine living in those circumstances.  Don’t read any further until you have taken a mental field-trip to first-century Galilee. 

 

Then imagine some preacher walking out of the desert and announcing that the Kingdom of God has arrived.  He is not saying that the Kingdom is coming.  He is saying that the Kingdom is already here.  He invites you to turn from (repent) your way of life and believe that what he has just announced is actually true.  Would you believe Him?

 

I’m an avid Tampa Bay Rays baseball fan.  I have an app on my phone that sends me updates from the Rays’ games so that while the game is going on, I can get quick updates when runs are scored, someone makes an amazing catch, or some other significant moment during the game.  This is fun for me when I’m not watching the game.  However, when you’re watching a game on TV, there is enough of a delay between when the home run is actually hit in the stadium to the moment that you see it happen on TV that the app can actually notify you on your phone before you see it.  The other day, I got a notification, looked down at my phone and read that Ji-man Choi (one of my favorite players) had hit a home run.  I quickly look back up at the TV and watch the home run on the “live” TV broadcast.   I now tend not to look at my phone while I’m watching games.

 

Jesus is giving us that same kind of notification.  The Kingdom of God has arrived.  Only 15 verses into Mark, you might not have seen it yet, but it has happened.  If you turn from what you’re doing right now and pay attention, you will see it and believe it.  Mark is trying to get you and me, the readers to pay attention and look for the reality that has already happened.  We will re-visit this theme throughout the gospel, but for now, look up and see that it is true.  Our orientation is to be constantly looking for what God has already done.

 

Questions:  Do you actively look for signs that God’s Kingdom is active in the world? In your neighborhood?  In your family? In you?

 

Prayer:  God . . .often. . . when we look around, we see nothing but bad news.  Give us eyes to see the evidence that your Kingdom is here.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for me today.  No particular reason. I just know that I need people praying for me.  Come to think of it. . . you should ask people to pray for you today too.  We all need it.

 

Song:  Secret Kingdom - Newsboys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIUHpvSkXOI

No comments:

Post a Comment