Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Some of the Hardest Work We Do is This

Mark 4:24- 25, NLT - Then he added, “Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given—and you will receive even more.  To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them.”

 

What have you done lately?  Our culture asks us this question in hundreds of different ways each day.  We have been conditioned to value activity. . . production. . .getting work done.  Some have referred to this as the “protestant work ethic,” suggesting that this penchant for continuously being productive has roots in our faith.  Certainly, even Jesus, in a parable that sounds very similar to the above teaching, extols the virtue of taking what we have been given and multiplying it (Matthew 25:14-30).  Many bible texts, to be sure, support the value of working hard. 

Then we have today’s passage which talks about the value listening hard - not casually, but intently for understanding.  Unlike the protestant work ethic, this ethic of listening well is not built into the fabric of our culture.  Our culture is one of 30-second soundbites, 10-minute book summaries, and well . . . this is a bit awkward for me to say. . . 5-minute daily devotionals. In most conversations that we participate in, we often listen not for understanding, but in order to form an appropriate response.  Deep listening. . . the kind Jesus is talking about here is rare. 

Jesus is warning us that we are missing out by tuning out too soon.  The more we deeply listen, the more we will deeply understand. Furthermore, to the extent that we don’t invest ourselves in intentional listening, we risk losing what understanding we already have.  I have observed this loss in myself times.  I have, on occasion, gotten to a particular point of understanding an issue that I begin to believe that I understand it fully.  At this point, I really stop listening because after all, I already have enough understanding.  Though I usually don’t realize it, I have closed my mind to further understanding because I have begun to believe that no further understanding is possible.  I suppose I have to admit that I currently have “blind spots” in my understanding right now. 

Fortunately, I’ve lived long enough and had just enough humility to see some of my previous blind spots exposed.  A conviction I held is shattered by an experience that caused me to question what I thought I already knew.  An experience of personal pain comes because I was ignoring the deeper wisdom that I didn’t even acknowledge existed.  A person who I was in relationship with broke through my ignorance by acting in a way that defied my closed understanding of them. What little understanding I thought I had was lost.  To break it down to the most simple level, I was not really listening to what Life was trying to show me – the spiritual version of Attention Deficit Disorder. 

Jesus is alerting us to the truth that there is always more to understand.  There are always deeper levels to explore.  But this is only true to the extent that we are relentless listeners that are open to that deeper adventure. 

 

Question: 

 

Prayer:  Lord. Show us our blind spots, the places in our understanding where we could go deeper if we could admit that we need to. Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for someone you haven’t listened to in a while.

 

Song:  I’m Listening – Chris McClarney (ft Hollyn)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT8iKdwbKdU  

No comments:

Post a Comment