Wednesday, November 30, 2022

When You’re at Odds w/ God

Mark 8:29-33, The Message - He then asked, “And you—what are you saying about me? Who am I?”

Peter gave the answer: “You are the Christ, the Messiah.”

Jesus warned them to keep it quiet, not to breathe a word of it to anyone. He then began explaining things to them: “It is necessary that the Son of Man proceed to an ordeal of suffering, be tried and found guilty by the elders, high priests, and religion scholars, be killed, and after three days rise up alive.” He said this simply and clearly so they couldn’t miss it.

But Peter grabbed him in protest. Turning and seeing his disciples wavering, wondering what to believe, Jesus confronted Peter. “Peter, get out of my way! Satan, get lost! You have no idea how God works.”

 

                The text from the last bit of the passage from the last reflection is included here to remind us of what we noticed yesterday.  The disciples’ confession that Jesus is the Messiah (which is the main message of the entire gospel of Mark) marks a critical shift in tone.  It’s been mostly miracles and healings up until this point, but things are about to get hard.  Jesus tries to prepare his apprentices for this by sharing with them what is about to happen.  Jesus will increasingly be opposed, eventually tried, and then be killed.  Three days later, He will be resurrected.  Peter, most likely speaking what the others are thinking, is having none of it.  He tries to get Jesus back “on message.”

                I’ve read this passage dozens of times, so I know Peter is about to be called Satan by Jesus.  Still, I can’t help but empathize with Peter.  I think of half a dozen times in my life where God’s direction and the direction that I think is right diverge.  Things seem to be going well.  Positive things are happening.  Forward motion is gaining momentum.  Then unexplainably, I’m pointed in a different direction.  Peter has a reputation for being a bit impetuous, but that’s not me.  If anything, I’m too passive.  But I have to say, in those moments where the direction suddenly changed, I was “take Jesus aside” angry.  I believe my prayers in those moments probably sounded a bit like what I imagine Peter saying to Jesus in private.  I was not happy about not being consulted about the change and I let God know about it (as if God didn’t already know exactly how I felt).  My conviction is that being completely honest with God about our negative feelings is better than trying to pretend that negativity in us doesn’t exist.  You might as well “get it off your chest” because God already knows what’s in your heart.

                Back to Satan thing.  When we in the 21st century hear the name “Satan” we hear something completely different than Peter did when Jesus used that word.  What Peter heard would be likened to what we would hear someone say, “get out of my way Adversary.”  Jesus was not calling Peter the Devil.  Jesus was warning Peter that he was now moving in the opposite direction from God, a position with which I am all-too-familiar.  It isn’t fun.  But if we are going to be free to be honest with God, than we ought to be willing for God to be honest with us.  I’d rather be corrected by God than left out of what God is doing.  Peter evidently felt that way too, because Peter takes the correction and moves on.  He will eventually be the central leader of the Jesus movement and He is still revered by Catholics as the first pope.  But that only happens because Peter is willing to admit he is wrong and take correction.  In order to be a leader, one must first be a follower.

                But it’s not easy to let go of what we think is right, even if it is God who is telling us so.  It takes a sense of humility and submission.  To the extent that we are able to empathize with Peter’s resistance, we should also be willing to follow Peter’s example of obedience. 

 

Questions:  Are you able to be called out and corrected when it is necessary?  Can you admit that even on important things, you could be wrong?

 

Prayer:  Lord, give us a teachable spirit.  May we correctable when we are headed in the wrong direction.  May we always hear Your voice and obey, even when it’s hard.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for missionaries all over the world today.

 

Song:  I Will Follow – Chris Tomlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ohvhmGSfxI

No comments:

Post a Comment