Thursday, March 30, 2023

Show Me What You Do and I’ll Show You What You Believe

James 2:14-26 - What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?  Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food.  If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?  In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.  You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?  Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?  You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.  And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend.  You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction?  As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

 

Today, we encounter the heart for which the book of James is known – the importance of action over against faith.  James is obviously responding to someone or a group of someone’s that have pontificated on the importance of faith alone.  James believes there is a danger in taking that idea to the extreme and seeks to offer a corrective.  However, I don’t believe James is trying to denigrate the importance of faith as he talks about works.  In my opinion (and I’m not alone), James is actually trying to make an important point about faith itself.  Genuine faith in someone or a certain belief will naturally inform what you actually do.

I’m sitting in a chair right now at my desk.  When I sat down in this chair, I was acting on a belief that I have that this chair will hold me and will not dump me on the floor.  I’m sitting at this desk writing this devotional because I believe that you and others will read it (If I didn’t believe anyone was reading this, I wouldn’t waste my time).  I am currently working to prepare for our worship service this week.  I have faith that others have been preparing as well (PowerPoint, communion, music, etc) so that we will have a meaningful worship service Sunday morning.  So you see, my faith directly informs what I do and what I don’t do.

James is simply trying to get us to think more carefully about what we actually believe and he believes the best way to do that is to look at what you do.  If you believe God is the Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer of the entire universe,  it makes sense that worshipping God would be a priority.  If you believe Jesus taught and showed us how to lead a life of abundance and impact, it would make sense that you would actually work at living into the ways He did.  If you believe sin is not just something that God doesn’t like but is actually harmful to you and others, then it would make sense that you avoid what God has clearly identified as sin.  If you only say that you believe those things and those “beliefs” never change the way you act, James is simply being bold enough to suggest that you might not actually believe those things.  I would agree.

There is an equal danger of overemphasizing action over against faith.  The apostle Paul argues that case eloquently, but that message is for another day.   For now, I encourage us to take a look at what we do each day and what we choose not to do each day.  This leads us to our questions for the day.

 

Question:  What do our daily actions and inactions say about what we actually believe?  Is there any gap in between what we say we believe and how we are willing or unwilling to act on that belief?

 

Prayer:  Lord, we believe in you. Help us in our unbelief.  Show us where we lack integrity between our proclaimed faith and our daily decisions/actions.  Amen.

 

Song:  Screen Door – Rich Mullins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgpU-43CD4

No comments:

Post a Comment