Friday, March 31, 2023

They’re Just Words. . .

James 3:1-12 - Don’t be in any rush to become a teacher, my friends. Teaching is highly responsible work. Teachers are held to the strictest standards. And none of us is perfectly qualified. We get it wrong nearly every time we open our mouths. If you could find someone whose speech was perfectly true, you’d have a perfect person, in perfect control of life.

A bit in the mouth of a horse controls the whole horse. A small rudder on a huge ship in the hands of a skilled captain sets a course in the face of the strongest winds. A word out of your mouth may seem of no account, but it can accomplish nearly anything—or destroy it!

It only takes a spark, remember, to set off a forest fire. A careless or wrongly placed word out of your mouth can do that. By our speech we can ruin the world, turn harmony to chaos, throw mud on a reputation, send the whole world up in smoke and go up in smoke with it, smoke right from the pit of hell.

This is scary: You can tame a tiger, but you can’t tame a tongue—it’s never been done. The tongue runs wild, a wanton killer. With our tongues we bless God our Father; with the same tongues we curse the very men and women he made in his image. Curses and blessings out of the same mouth!

My friends, this can’t go on. A spring doesn’t gush fresh water one day and brackish the next, does it? Apple trees don’t bear strawberries, do they? Raspberry bushes don’t bear apples, do they? You’re not going to dip into a polluted mud hole and get a cup of clear, cool water, are you?

 

Continuing with James challenging teaching today, we come to a challenge to teachers themselves.  Of course, my ears perk up because even in what I am writing at this very moment, I am seeking to teach.  James would have me think very carefully about even proposing to do so.  And athirty-three years after I taught my first Sunday School class of 3rd-5th graders at First UMC of Deland, I still think of James words nearly every time I open my mouth to instruct or write words aimed at guiding others.  I often also think about what Fred Craddock, one of my preaching heroes, said one time in a chapel service I attended.  I don’t remember his exact words but he suggested that it was dangerous to propose to speak on behalf of God without a healthy does of fear and trembling. 

At the heart of James warning about teaching is a lesson for all, not just teachers.  Our tongue is perhaps the most dangerous part of our body.  Our whole life is affected by the words that come from our mouth.  Our words can bless and heal but, all too often, they curse and wound.  Our words can lead;  they can calm an uprising or inspire an insurrection.  Perhaps the most disturbing thing that James says about all this is that there is no remedy for the double nature of our tongue; “it cannot be tamed.”  And after seeking to be someone who prides themselves on carefully chosen words since my youth, I have to say James is right.  I still marvel at what sometimes slips out of my mouth.  What was I thinking?  I wish I had a solution, but the tongue is indeed untamable. 

So what do we say?  What is the lesson here?  I believe it is reverence and mindfulness.  First, we need a reverence for words because they matter.  They matter in profound ways that we are still unable to understand fully.  You may flippantly think that what you say in any given moment doesn’t matter, but you would be woefully mistaken.  All of our words are important. Listen and meditate on some of the witness of Proverbs:

                Proverbs 11:9 “Evil words destroy one’s friends; wise discernment rescues the godly.”

                Proverbs 11:12 “It is foolish to belittle a neighbor; a person with good sense remains silent.”

Proverbs 11:17 “Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel.”

Proverbs 15: 1 “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but hard words stir up anger.”

Proverbs 15:4 “Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.”

Proverbs 16:24 “Kind words are like honey–sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.”

Proverbs 18:4 “A person’s words can be life-giving water; words of true wisdom are as refreshing as a bubbling brook.”

Proverbs 18:20 “Words satisfy the soul as food satisfies the stomach; the right words on a person’s lips bring satisfaction.”

Proverbs 20:15 “Wise speech is rarer and more valuable than gold and rubies.”

Proverbs 25:18 “Telling lies about others is as harmful as hitting them with an ax, wounding them with a sword, or shooting them with a sharp arrow.”

The second thing we need in relation to words is mindfulness.  The times I am surprised by the words that slip out of my mouth are the times I was not aware of the process of the words forming on my tongue.  It was as if I just was letting the words happen instead of participating in the process.  While it is true that our tongues will never be fully tamed, this does not mean we have no ability to control our words.  Being aware of our emotions and our thoughts (my definition of mindfulness) better prepares us to control our words.  When we are  aware of the rage mounting within us, we can choose to channel that in another way rather than lashing out with our words.  Even if is appropriate to express the anger with words, our mindfulness and our reverence for words can temper that anger in a way that it has a better chance to accomplish something helpful rather than hurtful. 

So let us have a healthy respect and reverence for the power of words.  Let us develop a growing awareness of the swirling currents within us that produce those powerful words.  And let us ask God pour His Spirit into our spirit so that our words are influenced by the currents of God’s will.  I’ll finish with a quote from Brennan Manning:  “In every encounter we either give life or we drain it; there is no neutral exchange.”

 

Question:  How often does it happen that you are surprised by the words that come out of your mouth?

 

Prayer:  If anyone can tame our tongue Lord, it is you.  “May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.” (Psalm 19:14) Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for reverence for words and mindfulness of what should and should not be said to begin to temper the rhetoric of our elected leaders and influencers. 

 

Songs:  I couldn’t choose between two songs today so you get two:

Speak Life – TobyMac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeBv9r92VQ0

 

Power In The Words – The Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JC-di8CjCY

No comments:

Post a Comment