Thursday, April 27, 2023

This is Toxic to Your Faith and Relationships


Galatians 6:11-18, The Message - Now, in these last sentences, I want to emphasize in the bold scrawls of my personal handwriting the immense importance of what I have written to you. These people who are attempting to force the ways of circumcision on you have only one motive: They want an easy way to look good before others, lacking the courage to live by a faith that shares Christ’s suffering and death. All their talk about the law is gas. They themselves don’t keep the law! And they are highly selective in the laws they do observe. They only want you to be circumcised so they can boast of their success in recruiting you to their side. That is contemptible!

For my part, I am going to boast about nothing but the Cross of our Master, Jesus Christ. Because of that Cross, I have been crucified in relation to the world, set free from the stifling atmosphere of pleasing others and fitting into the little patterns that they dictate. Can’t you see the central issue in all this? It is not what you and I do—submit to circumcision, reject circumcision. It is what God is doing, and he is creating something totally new, a free life! All who walk by this standard are the true Israel of God—his chosen people. Peace and mercy on them!

Quite frankly, I don’t want to be bothered anymore by these disputes. I have far more important things to do—the serious living of this faith. I bear in my body scars from my service to Jesus.

May what our Master Jesus Christ gives freely be deeply and personally yours, my friends. Oh, yes!

 

Today, we finish Galatians with Paul’s final words to these churches.  He re-emphasizes that there is no need to require non-Jews to comply with Torah law concerning circumcision.  Where Jews used circumcision and other laws to separate themselves from others as God’s chosen people, there is now no more need for that.  Christ has made us all God’s chosen people.

 

In support of this central point of Paul’s letter, he leaves us another gem:

 

For my part, I am going to boast about nothing but the Cross of our Master, Jesus Christ. Because of that Cross, I have been crucified in relation to the world, set free from the stifling atmosphere of pleasing others and fitting into the little patterns that they dictate. (vs. 14-15)

 

Instead of finding ways to play the one upmanship game that seems to come naturally to us humans, Paul encourages us to focus on what Christ has done.  The more we do that, the less tendency we will have to puff ourselves up.  We are set free from all that crap.  It reminds me of one of the great hymns of the church by Isaac Watts:

 

When I survey the wondrous cross

On which the Prince of glory died

My richest gain I count but loss

And pour contempt on all my pride

 

Comparing ourselves, finding reasons to look down on others, or putting others on a pedestal above us are all toxic to our relationships.  Paul bids us to let all that be crucified with Christ and be free to be who God made you to be – no more and no less.  When we all do that together, we become something truly divine – the Body of Christ.  This is what Paul meant earlier in the letter when he says, “I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you.”  He longs for this.  I have to say that I long for it too – for you, for me. . . for us!

 

Questions:  Are there people you look down on?  What forms the basis of that “looking down?”  When you hold that justification up to the Cross, what happens?  What about the other way around – are there people you consider to be “better than” you.  How does the basis for that judgement hold up to the Cross?

 

Prayer:  God, purge toxic comparisons from our heart and mind.  We want the life you designed for us to live together – no more and no less.  Make us the true Body of Christ! Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for people who are struggling to find employment right now. 

 

Song:  The Wonderful Cross – Matt Redman & Chris Tomlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylihJUH0gP4  

No comments:

Post a Comment