Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Self-Care or Self Indulgence

Romans 12:10: “Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves."

John 3:20 “He must become greater; I must become less.” (John the Baptist)

 

One of the great paradoxes of life is that the more we make our lives about ourselves, the more miserable we will be.  To put it positively, the more we use our lives to bless others, the more joy we will have.  The sad thing about this truth is that I know it and often, I still don’t live to bless others.  There is this part of me that always wants me to focus on me. Psychologists call this part the ego. Parker Palmer calls it the “false self.”  Whatever you call it, it is insanely persistent in pursuing what it wants to the exclusion of others. 

One of the lies our ego would have us believe is that, “I’m just taking care of myself, fulfilling my needs.”  But self-care and self-love are not the same as self-indulgence.  If we are made to fulfill a purpose that blesses and helps others, and I believe that we are, then spending our lives simply trying to satisfy our appetites actually betrays our true selves.

As is often case, I know this, but I don’t do it even close to as much as I want.  I’m thankful for you all because you all help me hear the voice of my true self.  I have this deep desire to see you all be blessed and I know that is the real me.  Some of the most fulfilling times in my life have been when I was immersed in doing things for others –I want to see more of that guy.  I’m working on that.

 

Question:  Can you describe the difference in how you feel when you are blessing others vs. when you are being self-indulgent?

 

Prayer:  God, you are, by definition, love.  You delight in blessing us.  We pray that we could experience that delight in living for and loving each other.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for peace in the streets of our cities.

 

Song: Give it Away – Michael W. Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc55Y1KqLYw

No comments:

Post a Comment