Friday, May 19, 2023

Fruit of the Spirit

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.  Galatians 5:22-23

 

You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?                                                                        Jesus, in Matthew 7:16

 

Hebrews 10:24-25: “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

 

Today we begin a series on the fruits of the Spirit.  We talk at the beginning of this series about love because it is the first that Paul mentioned in his list.  Love is first for the same reason he held love up as the greatest over faith and hope. Here we go!

I love being a pastor, but I hope it is mostly evident that the favorite thing I am is a husband and a Dad.  I have always tried to make those roles my priorities.  I cringe at the many times I have let other priorities become first, but I think for the most part, my immediate family have and will always be first.  The reason for this is obvious – I love them.  But here’s something cool that I’ve realized:  making my family my priority is the best thing I can do for all the others in my life.  I know that there have been other staff members I’ve served with who have changed their priorities to put their family first because they have seen me do it,  It’s not the majority, but some.  I have seen my children’s friends take notice of how things are in our family in a good way.  I have seen the families of the babies that are cared for by my wife, and my daughters Emily and Rachel be affected by the way those children are loved.  In short, love multiplies. 

So, knowing that explains why the Apostle Paul wrote these words: “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love. . .”

 

Question: Can you name an example of a time when you saw love multiply?

 

Prayer:  God, thank you for those who have modeled for us what love looks like.  Help us multiply it. Amen.

Prayer Focus:  Pray for repentance, forgiveness, and healing of the racism in our country

 

Song: James Taylor – It’s Growing

This is a romantic song originally sung by The Temptations, but I thought it applies to all love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkRS5FuhFVg

No comments:

Post a Comment