Friday, May 26, 2023

What Literally Holds Us Together

The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.  He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.                         Colossians 1:15-17

 

Today is the last day of talking about love, so it seems appropriate to simply lift up how Love in every way possible holds us together.  I was writing in my journal today (which I haven’t done in a while) and these thoughts came to me:

“Having people to love keeps me going even when I want to quit.  Having people who love me has lifted me out of my lowest moments.  I am caught up in a web of love that has begun to be cast at least a couple thousand years ago.  My family of origin, my current immediate family, my extended family, my church, my spiritual heroes, my teachers, my pastors, my friends, my co-workers, and a lot of perfect strangers are all part of this web that is currently drawing new people in.  This is my new favorite image of the Kingdom of God. “

All the rest of the fruits of the Spirit have as their prerequisite love. 

 

Prayer:  Thank you God for the web of love you have cast all around us.  May it heal our divisions and hold us together. Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Ask God to lead you to who to focus on in your prayers today.

 

Video:  Today, a video and a song. This may be one of my favorite illustrations of all time, so you may have seen it before, but it’s worth a repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSR8z_0uW5E

Song: Hold Us Together (You had to know it was coming. It’s my favorite praise song!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvnVjLX_hRE

No comments:

Post a Comment