Wednesday, June 14, 2023

The Cost of Kindness. . .

Those who are kind benefit themselves, but the cruel bring ruin on themselves.    Proverbs 11:17

 

“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead.  A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.  So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.  But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.  He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”                 

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”                                       Luke 10:30-37

 

I think we all like to think of ourselves as being kind.  I certainly do.  But biblically speaking, being kind, as we talked about yesterday, implies that we are actively committing acts of kindness, not simply refraining from being unkind.  All too often though, we withhold kindness.

There are numerous possible reasons for this.  Speaking for myself, I sometimes don’t engage because I am simply preoccupied.  I’m too engrossed in my inner world that I ignore the opportunity right in front of me.  Other times, I feel like I’m too busy and to stop and show some kindness would throw me off my schedule.  Still other times, I just don’t want to get involved.  I feel like I might get sucked into something that will require more of me than I frankly want to give.  It’s hard to admit that publicly, but I know I’m not the only one who does this.  How about you? What keeps you from engaging in kind acts?

The reality is that kindness has a cost.  My above reservations about engaging in kindness are real.  I do have to lift my focus off myself and onto another to show authentic kindness.  It will sometimes wreck my schedule or to-do list.  And sometimes, it will indeed require me to give more of myself than I feel ready to give.  Whatever your reservations are, I bet they represent a real cost to you.   Here’s a hard-hitting question – if it doesn’t cost you anything, is it really kindness? 

The kindness that the Bible talks about God’s people practicing is costly; it’s more than being polite or courteous.  It puts us out.  It takes us out of our comfort zone.  It might even feel risky sometimes.  It’s the same kindness that God has extended to us.  The sun’s warmth is offered even to those who take it for granted.  The grace of God is offered to people who would spit on it if they could.  God’s Son was offered for all of us who every day fall short of being properly thankful for such an amazing gift. 

So yes, to be kind is to be a little reckless.  But as we said yesterday, it’s powerful.  It can and does change lives.  God’s kindness does just that every day.  And you and I get to be part of it – if we dare.  We’ll talk more about that tomorrow.

 

Prayer:  Lord, help us to be more than polite and courteous; help us to commit the sort of kindness that you use to change lives.  Amen

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for your church today to be used by God to accomplish miraculous things!

 

Song:  Cory Asbury – Reckless Love (non-believer reaction)  This video is a little longer than usual, but it’s powerful.  It was made by a YouTube Creator who reviews music that he has never heard before live on camera.  People asked him to review a live performance of “Reckless Love.”  His reaction is moving. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lynwOb2ZiIo

No comments:

Post a Comment