Tuesday, June 20, 2023

The Purpose of Being Good

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.                Galatians 6:9-10

 

“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.”

John Wesley

 

Doing good is the second General Rule of the United Methodist Church.  Another Wesleyan denomination, the Salvation Army, adopted “doing the most good” as their motto.  Most followers of Jesus would include doing good among the things Christians are supposed to do.  But like other worthy goals, sometimes we need to ask ourselves, are we actually doing it.  In this case, we need to ask ourselves, “are we actually doing good.” 

It leads us to another question.  How would we know if what we are doing is good?  As the Apostle Paul said, ““I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.” (1 Corinthians 10:23)  The best guidance I can find in this respect is Jesus’s words from the Sermon on the Mount:  Matthew 5:16 says, “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”

“They may see” and “glorify your Father.”  Good deeds are those that point others to God, not ourselves.  This speaks to the motivation behind what we do.  When we do good things, are we trying to attract attention to ourselves?  Are we trying to get “credit” in some way?  Are we doing a good thing for someone in hopes of getting something good in return?  I’ll admit that the answer for myself to all three of those questions is often “yes.”  I want others to regard me as a “good man” and I do want good things from others.  Let me clear here.  I don’t see anything terrible about wanting those things, but the “bar” for the spiritual fruit of goodness is higher.  It is a goodness produced by our actions that points others to God.  Please know this; people know the difference.  Self-serving goodness and Spirt-produced goodness feel different to the recipient.  One feels like manipulation and one feels like grace. 

I have been the recipient of that gracious fruit many times in my life.  I pursued my calling as a  pastor because of so many helped me see what God was doing in my life.  Many of the people who helped me never knew they did.  Some others know I was helped but seem almost surprised that what they did had any part in it.  In the times I realize that something I did accomplished some Godly good, I am often awestruck. 

You see, like the other fruits we’ve been talking about, the spiritual fruit of goodness is not something we can grow and produce ourselves.  It sometimes involves us being open to quiet promptings to do things that might not seem important or make sense in the moment.  It sometimes involves us pressing through work that we feel called to do but often feel unmotivated to continue.  It sometimes means that we do good things that for which we know we will not get any personal reward or credit.  Every once in a while though, God lets us see how those good works made a difference we couldn’t see in the moment.  And that leaves us wanting more of that sweet, sweet fruit.

 

Prayer:  God, make us goodness fruit producers.  Mold our spirits and our actions in such a way that they can point others to you. Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Spend some time remembering the times when you were the recipient of good fruit that helped you sense God’s activity in your life.  Thank God for the goodness fruit producers that helped you.

 

Song:  Thank You For Giving to the Lord – Ray Boltz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3BJrG79IA

No comments:

Post a Comment