Monday, June 6, 2022

Old Testament Heroes – Abraham

Old Testament Heroes – Abrahm

 

And now, for something completely different – This series, which may take us well into July, will be a change of pace from the forgiveness series.  I will try to make the reflections a bit shorter and I’ll encourage you to read more about the heroes in the Bible itself.  So here we go. Our first hero is Abraham (first called Abrahm).

 

Genesis 12:1-3  - “The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you.  I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others.  I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you.” 

 

All three major world religions revere Abraham as a patriarch of their tradition.  He is praised for his great faith.  In this snippet from Genesis, we see him being called to leave his country for a land he knows nothing about.  When I really think about that, I’m floored.  The closest experience I have to that is being an itinerant preacher, I have on a few occasions now, been sent to a place I didn’t know.  That was actually the case in being sent to Hernando, where I am now.  But that’s hardly comparable to being asked by God to pick up your family and go to a completely different country.  I know I can be sent anywhere in Florida.  Wherever I go, it’s still Florida. 

Abraham was not even told at this point where he was going.  The promises were amazing, but the sacrifices being asked for were real.  We celebrate Abraham’s faith but do we have Abraham’s faith?

A theme throughout Abraham’s life Is that God was always calling him to deeper faith.  This is true of us as well.  God loves you completely right where you are right now.  However, because God loves you, God is calling you forward in your faith.  There is never a time when that is not true. 

 

Question:  What is God asking you to do right now that makes you uncomfortable?

 

Further reading:  Genesis 12-14

 

Prayer:  God help me be clear about what you are asking me to do right now. Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for those who are crippled by fear right now.

 

Song:  Phil Keaggy – Abraham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBmMa_6r7kY

No comments:

Post a Comment