Saturday, June 4, 2022

The Forgiveness Community

Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. (Ephesians 4:32, NASB)

Bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. (Colossians 3:13, NASB)

Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions. (Mark 11:25, NASB)

Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times a day, and returns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ forgive him.” (Luke 17:3-4, NASB)

 

                As we finish our series on forgiveness today, I ask your forgiveness for missing yesterday.  I have no excuse except that the day just got away from me.  I am seeking to make amends by writing on Saturday 😊

                One the reasons I chose to write this series on forgiveness is a bit selfish.  I have felt a calling to write a book on forgiveness for more many years and have worked on that book off and on since then.  For whatever reasons, it has been really hard to get it done.  Beginning to write these devotions every weekday at the beginning of the pandemic established the discipline of regular writing for me.  So I chose to use that established discipline to work toward the goal of getting the book done.  Thank you for indulging me in hearing about forgiveness longer than anyone except myself wants to hear. 

                The working title of the book is Forgiveness Revolution.  I remember vividly when I put those two words together for the first time.  I was preparing to preach for the first time the sermon series that would come to be named the same as my intended book title.  After reading all the scripture I could find on forgiveness and several books as well, I was asking myself a question that I was taught by my preaching professors to always ask when preparing to preach; “what do I want to happen as a result of people hearing this?” 

                The answer that hit me like a flood is “I want a revolution.”  We live in a world where so many feel like their mistakes have damned them.  I’ve listened to countless people talk about the crippling shame they feel.  Further, I’ve watched my entire life as it seems we become more and more divided.  Divorces outnumber lasting marriages.  Family feuds begun because of relational mistakes escalate into complete community upheaval, which has escalated into a whole culture of “us vs. them.”  The world seems to be more and more fractured and by what I see as a lack of ability to forgive and working towards reconciling our relationships.  People are becoming more and more isolated.  We struggle with experiencing the forgiveness of God and so we struggle with forgiving each other.  Sometimes, we even struggle with forgiving God.  We need a revolution.

                A revolution can start with one person but it is impossible to sustain without a community.  Jesus, the Son of God incarnate knew that.  The movement He started would never have the legs to continue if He didn’t build a community.  So He gathered disciples and spent three years immersing and training them in the ways of God’s kingdom, which, by the way, are intrinsically communal. He also taught them to do the same community building after he ascended.  One of those ways of the kingdom was forgiveness.  The needed revolution I talked about earlier was started over two thousand years ago by Jesus.

                We don’t need to “reinvent the wheel.”  We just need to re-establish the patterns of forgiveness that Jesus taught so long ago.  Jesus chose and called the Church to do exactly that.  Bask in the lavish forgiveness of God.  Adopt the discipline of forgiving each other as God as forgiven us.  Practice grace and forgiveness every day.  When we have something against God, we keep talking and relating to God until we work it out.  My friends who call themselves the church, this is who we are.  We are a forgiveness community!  Let’s start acting like it.

 

Question:  How can the church model forgiveness in a way that helps the world become a more forgiving place?

 

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, thank you for giving us the experience of forgiveness.  Help us share and celebrate that experience of forgiveness with each other and, at the same time, show the world what it is missing.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for your church today.

 

Song: Reconciliation Song - Buddy Owens, Claire Cloninger, Morris Chapman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4wXOGNKrk

No comments:

Post a Comment