Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Condemnation, Snake-Handling, Drinking Poison, Healing, and Faith

Mark 16:15-18, CEB - He said to them, “Go into the whole world and proclaim the good news to every creature.  Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever doesn’t believe will be condemned.  These signs will be associated with those who believe: they will throw out demons in my name. They will speak in new languages.  They will pick up snakes with their hands. If they drink anything poisonous, it will not hurt them. They will place their hands on the sick, and they will get well.”

 

There are a handful of things that I wish Jesus did not say and a couple of them are in these few verses above. However, Jesus did say them and so I have to take them seriously.  I’d like to ignore them, but to do so, I would have to be the kind of person that only hears what he wants to hear.  That leads to the first thing above that I wish Jesus did not say; “. . . whoever doesn’t believe will be condemned.”

                We face condemnation when we don’t believe.  I wish Jesus didn’t say that because there have been times when I didn’t believe.  Some of those times, I was mad.  I encountered realities that I did not like and I held them against God.  I turned away.  I encountered suffering that seemed impossible to look at, much less bear, and I held it against God.  Of course, there were other times when what I came to discover about God made me uncomfortable, so I resisted the invitation to believe.  I remember those times of my life as the worst seasons of my life.  So I can tell you from these experiences that despite wishing Jesus had not said it, we are indeed condemned by a refusal to believe.

                We are created by God wired for belief in God.  We thrive when we live in belief and, like a car without a battery, we become stuck and unable to function in the way we were created. To be accurate, we condemn ourselves when we don’t choose to believe.  It is not God being offended and turning away from us, but vice versa. 

                Now for the other thing I wish Jesus didn’t say:

                 They will pick up snakes with their hands. If they drink anything poisonous, it will not hurt them”

                This has led to people dying from snake bites and/or drinking poison.  This has led to people turning away from the church when they see Christians doing stuff like that.  It seems so obvious that Jesus did not mean for His followers to tempt God by brazenly handling snakes and drinking poison, but that hasn’t stopped people from taking these words literally.  Christianity cults have emerged sporadically since the time this passage was published that build their whole existence upon doing dangerous things like picking up snakes to prove they are among the people who believe. I shouldn’t have to say this, but this practice was not what Jesus had in mind when He said the above words. 

                I have witnessed many miracles when I or others should have died or at least been seriously injured, but they were somehow saved.  I believe that God does protect believers in ways that I cannot describe or explain.  But that does not mean that we should carelessly put ourselves in danger so as to “show off” God’s protection and healing. 

                The point Jesus was making was that, since we are wired for faith, we can accomplish amazing, sometimes even supernatural things when we live with implicit belief that God is with us.  When we cut the faith connection, we live in the condemnation of a life with God’s power at work in us.  Miracles are often the blessing of those who choose to believe, but you don’t have to demonstrate miracles to prove that you believe.  Christianity is not magic show.  It is simply faith-filled living. 

 

Questions:  How does it make you feel when you see others “showing off” their faith?  Have you eve found yourself doing that?

 

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, forgive my moments or even seasons of disbelief.   Help me to trust you for protection and healing without me ever becoming boastful about it. Keep me humble Lord. Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for other Christians whose beliefs seem very different from yours today.

 

Song:  House of Miracles – Brandon Lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26C02Xb9_vI

No comments:

Post a Comment