Tuesday, March 7, 2023

How is Such Cruelty Possible?

Mark 15:29-32, CEB - People walking by insulted him, shaking their heads and saying, “Ha! So you were going to destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, were you?  Save yourself and come down from that cross!”

In the same way, the chief priests were making fun of him among themselves, together with the legal experts. “He saved others,” they said, “but he can’t save himself. Let the Christ, the king of Israel, come down from the cross. Then we’ll see and believe.” Even those who had been crucified with Jesus insulted him.

 

            Meditating on this passage allowed me to notice a surprising detail I had always missed before now.  The chief priests begin their mocking of Jesus, by saying, “He saved others. . . “ They freely admit that Jesus saved others.  They knew and acknowledged Jesus had saved others, yet they were determined to see Him killed nonetheless.  This makes the irony in their next statement pretty thick:

            Let the Christ, the king of Israel, come down from the cross. Then we’ll see and believe.”

They just acknowledged they had already seen and believed.  In their attempts to mock Jesus, they inadvertently condemn themselves. 

            It is particularly curious anyway, the disposition of people comfortable with publicly mocking a man hanging on a cross taking their last breaths.  As I try to take my own frequent advice and put myself in the place of the villains in the story, I imagine that in order to do such a thing, I would have had to nurture and develop an intense hate for someone.  To revel in another human being’s horrific demise, I imagine that I would have to see them as something other than another human being.  And as soon as I realize that truth, I realize that I am capable of such awfulness. This is because I know I have been guilty at times of dehumanizing my foes. 

            Doing so is a defense mechanism, a way of convincing myself of my rightness in feeling so hateful towards another.  This defense persists admirably until I see clearly in these narratives of Jesus on the cross that Jesus never allowed Himself such mechanisms.  Jesus had more reason to foster hate for these people standing around Him gawking at His suffering than I ever I have in all of my half-century of life.  He had been beaten and battered until He could no longer stand.  He had a crown of thorns shoved into his skull.  He is hanging on one of the most tortuous execution devices ever devised.  And having innocently endured all of that, He is now being mocked and teased by people who have just admitted His amazing deeds, yet want Him dead anyway.  Putting myself briefly in Jesus’s place, I cannot imagine not intensely hating the people doing this. 

            Yet Jesus never indulged the hatred.  In Mark’s account, he simply absorbs the animosity and remains silent.  He persists in loving all, even those who hate in return.  We often proclaim the cross as the God-designed victory over death.  Of course it is that, but it is also the victory of love over hate.  Mark’s message to the heavily persecuted church that he wrote this gospel for is that Christ’s victory over hate can be theirs as well.  Obviously, that powerful message is for us as well. 

 

Question:  Is there any resentment built up in your heart that perhaps you need to let go of in order to choose the path of Christ instead?

 

Prayer:  Jesus, we praise You for the perfect love You showed in Your life and in Your death.  We confess we fall short of loving the way You do.  Empower us by Your Spirit to let go of our resentments and be free of the toxicity that poisons our soul.  Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for people you are tempted to harbor resentments toward today.

 

Song:  He Never Said a Mumbalin’ Word - Tesfa Wondemagegnehu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM8SULN_G_w

No comments:

Post a Comment