Friday, March 3, 2023

Led to Golgotha

Mark 15:22-27, CEB - They brought Jesus to the place called Golgotha, which means Skull Place.  They tried to give him wine mixed with myrrh, but he didn’t take it.  They crucified him. They divided up his clothes, drawing lots for them to determine who would take what.  It was nine in the morning when they crucified him.  The notice of the formal charge against him was written, “The king of the Jews.”  They crucified two outlaws with him, one on his right and one on his left.

 

            I intend to keep my words few in commenting on today’s passage.  What I encourage you to do is to see and spend some time in contemplation on the purposeful allusions to the Old Testament Mark includes in his crucifixion account.  We encounter a couple of them in our text above.  The wine mixed with myrrh is recalls Psalm 69:20-21:

            I looked for sympathy, but there was none,

             for comforters, but I found none.

They put gall in my food

             and gave me vinegar for my thirst.

Allusions to Psalm 22 can be found throughout the crucifixion narrative (including Jesus’s last words, which we will talk about at a later date.  But another striking reference to David’s Psalm is found in our text for today:

Dogs surround me,

             a pack of villains encircles me;

              they pierce my hands and my feet.

All my bones are on display;

            people stare and gloat over me.

They divide my clothes among them

            and cast lots for my garment. (Psalm 22:16-18)

Psalm 22 and 69 are classified as psalms of the righteous sufferer – someone who is guiltless yet made to suffer nonetheless.  In their Old Testament setting, they are the words of David, a flawed man whose cause was righteous but was opposed by King Saul.  However, they are even more poignant in describing Jesus, who is righteous in every way possible. 

            The tendency of us human beings, when confronted with undeserved suffering, is to (1) escape it somehow and (2) appeal to appropriate authorities/courts to make us “whole” again.  Jesus does neither.  Mark takes great pains to remind us that Jesus chose this path freely and never turns away from it.  He expresses His suffering but does not seek revenge or restitution.  In profoundly poetic irony, Jesus’s righteous suffering makes it possible for US to be made whole again. 

            Spend some time meditating on the scriptural imagery and truth today.  Allow the Spirit to impress upon you the power of what Jesus is doing here on the cross.

 

Question:  What truth concerning Jesus’s suffering seems to be foremost in your mind as you contemplate these scriptures today?

 

Prayer:  The prayer today is made up of quotations from Psalm 22 and 69:

Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help.(22:11)

But you, Lord, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me. (22:19)

But I pray to you, Lord, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation. (69:13)

Amen.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for those who are suffering through no fault of their own.

 

Song:  When I Survey the Wondrous Cross – Loma Linda University Church Choir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_AujOpMljQ

No comments:

Post a Comment