Thursday, September 1, 2022

Love When It’s Hard

Proverbs 25:21-22 and  Romans 12:20 “If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat.  If they are thirsty, give them water to drink.  You will heap burning coals of shame on their heads, and the Lord will reward you.”

 

The message of this scripture really is straightforward.  We are to love people that we least want to love.  We don’t have to like them, but our actions toward them are to be loving.  We can even oppose someone and still love them.  This is what is needed today more than ever. 

A few years ago, I did something I’m not known for doing. My wife sent me a link about a news story and when I watched it, I was saddened to my core and I cried.   Then, I did something I have never done in my life. I wrote senators, representatives, and the then current Attorney General (a fellow Methodist) to ask them to do something about it.  I spoke out about the issue on social media.  The issue that incensed me is not the point here, so I’m purposely leaving out the details.  

I did it knowing that people would oppose me and they did.  People I have respect for tried to defend the practice and said unkind things about me for having a different opinion.  It was at that moment I felt the import of the above passage.  I knew that for my love to have integrity, I had to treat those who opposed my opinion and were unkind with just as much love as I claimed to have for those I sought to defend.  I have to say this.  That was WAY harder than speaking out about injustice.   But here’s the crux of why it’s so important.  The heaping of “burning coals of shame on their heads”  doesn’t happen if I simply oppose them with unkindness and dismissiveness.  In order for my enemies to be affected by me in any positive way, they have to know not only that I oppose them, but I oppose them lovingly.  That’s the recipe for burning coals – opposition +  justice + love. 

How do I know that to be true?  Because I have had the not pleasurable experience of “burning coals of shame” heaped upon my own skull.  People who opposed me, but did so with love and justice, have turned me toward justice.   Without love, the opposition is easy to dismiss or ignore – it’s just dust I can shake off my feet.  But love adds the burning heat. 

I think it’s why this “loving your enemies” thing is so hard to do.  It’s like handling burning coals.  I began by sharing an example of my effort at trying to do it.  I’m real clear that I didn’t do it well then and I don’t do it well now.  But what I am really clear about is that Jesus expects me to keep doing it.  This is what He did and we are His body so we are to do it too.   So take a stab at handling those burning coals.  On second thought, don’t stab at it.  That’s a good way to get burned yourself.  Handle those coals carefully! Until tomorrow.

 

Question:  Who are the people who are hardest for you to love?

 

Prayer: God, you love people who seem to us unlovable.  Help us to do the same.

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for injustice that, when you think about it, makes you cry.  Ask God to show you how to add your loving opposition to that injustice.

 

Song:  Casting Crowns – Love You With the Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwMFX7hUefc

No comments:

Post a Comment