Friday, September 2, 2022

Loving Life

Deut. 30:19-20 - “Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live!  You can make this choice by loving the Lord your God, obeying him, and committing yourself firmly to him. This is the key to your life. And if you love and obey the Lord, you will live long in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”

 

This passage is obviously about loving God, but I think it is also about more than just that.  I think it is about the choice to love the life God has given us.  I often find myself criticizing the life God has given me.   I want to live in a place with a cooler climate (I love you all, but I don’t love this humidity!)  I want to spend less time making car repairs. I want to be 100 pounds lighter.  There is nothing inherently wrong with these wants UNTIL they cause me to lose gratitude and love for the life I have.  The more I focus on what I don’t have, the more I LEARN to focus on what I don’t have.  When I live that way, I am also influencing others to live that way.  This is the tragic way toward death. 

This is the choice “between blessings and curses.”  Hence the Lord’s pleading to “choose life.” It is a choice we are invited to make every day.  Love the life I’ve been given – the family, the friends, the work, the opportunities, the beauty around me, and even the things I’ve been given.  I can always find something wrong with all of those things, but finding fault is not the way of life and blessing.  I am going to work hard on choosing life more than I do now.

 

Question:  Are there attitude adjustments you can make towards loving the life you have more?

 

Prayer:  God of life and blessing.  You invite us to choose life which seems so obvious.  But the choice is often hard to live out.  Help us see one place today where we can move from curses to blessings. Amen

 

Prayer Focus:  Pray for all families who are struggling with being separated right now.

 

Song:  CHOOSE LIFE (Big Tent Revival)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX4fC4WFCIU

No comments:

Post a Comment